How active is very active???

Just wondering what’s the difference between active and very active?? I do a hiit class 3 days a week and walk for at least 30 mins every other day, am I active or very active???

Replies

• 10,000 steps a day is a good indicator and 30 minutes of physical activity every day. BUT what you do for work also will tell you how active you are. Some people naturally by their choice of career will be on their feet moving more or sedentary. Sedentary jobs are a killer to physical conditioning.
  • fionaduff2013
    fionaduff2013 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you, I mind kids every day, my step count would be 10,000 not including my walks, would you think that’s active or very active??
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    edited September 2019
    Start at 'active'. See if you lose/gain/maintain weight as expected. If not, change it :)
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Just wondering what’s the difference between active and very active?? I do a hiit class 3 days a week and walk for at least 30 mins every other day, am I active or very active???

What do you do the rest of the time?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member

There is a definition.

If you go to Goals > View Guided Setup, the definitions are there.

I've copied them here:

How would you describe your normal daily activities?
    Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesperson)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. food server, postal carrier)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

So ... based on the OPs description of what he/she does (30-60 min of exercise a day?), I'd put him/her into sedentary.

Activity levels aren't about the exercise you do ... you add that in later ... they're about normal daily activities.

I'm a full time office worker and a part-time student who exercises just about every day ... walking, cycling, rowing, sometimes running, pilates, etc. etc. I aim for at least an hour of exercise a day plus I get up and walk around the office or home once an hour. But because I spend most of my time sitting, I'm sedentary.