Weight loss

Options
Lost 10 lbs in the first week. Got about 40 lbs to go

Replies

• forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    Options
    10 pounds in 1 week is pretty severe. Make sure you’re intaking enough calories and nutrients. That kind of loss usually isn’t sustainable in the long run. Not to be discouraging or anything. Lol.
    Good luck😊
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! <3

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

Buy a food scale. Weigh everything you eat and log into the food diary.

Good luck with your journey!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    10 pounds in 1 week is pretty severe. Make sure you’re intaking enough calories and nutrients. That kind of loss usually isn’t sustainable in the long run. Not to be discouraging or anything. Lol.
    Good luck😊

It is not unusual for someone to lose a lot of weight their first week on a diet especially if most of his cuts came in the form of carbs. I carry a lot of water weight so if I come back after a break in dieting I will usually lose a lot. By the second week it slows down...by the third week I am losing what I set out to lose.
  • forestfreek
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Good luck😊

It is not unusual for someone to lose a lot of weight their first week on a diet especially if most of his cuts came in the form of carbs. I carry a lot of water weight so if I come back after a break in dieting I will usually lose a lot. By the second week it slows down...by the third week I am losing what I set out to lose.

True weight loss is a matter of calories in, calories out. It doesn’t matter from which food group the deficits come from.
    And yes - 10 pounds lost from a total of 50 to lose is unusual. There is no way this is authentic “loss” of fat. There are a variety of factors that affect the number on the scale when one first weighs in and every subsequent weigh in afterwards. Unless OP chopped off a limb, I’m gonna say some of that “weight” will show back up.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Good luck😊

True weight loss is a matter of calories in, calories out. It doesn’t matter from which food group the deficits come from.
    And yes - 10 pounds lost from a total of 50 to lose is unusual. There is no way this is authentic “loss” of fat. There are a variety of factors that affect the number on the scale when one first weighs in and every subsequent weigh in afterwards. Unless OP chopped off a limb, I’m gonna say some of that “weight” will show back up.

Let me rephrase this...chances are a good portion of that 10lbs was water weight. If he cut back on carbs and/or sodium it will cause him to drop weight. It might not be fat but that water loss will show as a loss on the scale.

I truly doubt that he lost 10lbs of fat...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Bosatch87 wrote: »
    Lost 10 lbs in the first week. Got about 40 lbs to go

Congrats on a fast start! Please know that most of that was almost certainly water weight and you should not expect that rate of loss to continue. If you have 40 lbs to lose to get to a healthy weight, you should expect to lose an average of 1lb - 1.5lbs per week going forward.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Good luck :drinker:
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far!
    Welcome to MFP!
  • Bosatch87
    Bosatch87 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know for a fact that I didn't lose 10 lbs of fat lol I m just super excited to see the number on the scale going down because I'm definitely putting in the effort
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I know for a fact that I didn't lose 10 lbs of fat lol I m just super excited to see the number on the scale going down because I'm definitely putting in the effort

Awesome :smiley: We get a lot of folks here who have no idea, so we like to make sure. Keep at it!
  • Annie_01
    Options

You are doing just fine. If you by some chance continue to lose at a high rate you can always adjust your calorie goal up a bit to slow it down. The first few weeks it is somewhat difficult to evaluate your rate of loss. Losing that water weight at first is a real confidence builder however...when thats all gone the real rate of loss can be a downer. Just keep it up and you will get there.

• forestfreek
    Options

Sorry! Like I said I wasn’t meaning at all to be discouraging. Quite the opposite - just didn’t want you to GET discouraged when that progression slows down. Definitely be happy with your success 🤗🤗🤗

• Bosatch87
    Bosatch87 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I wasn't discourage by what you said. I was just stating that I didn't believe that I had lost 10lbs of body fat in a week lol