The Amazing Chickpea

Options
Yesterday at a Roche Bro's I found a jar of 'The Amazing Chickpea - Chickpea Butter' (vs. peanut butter) I love chickpeas but was skeptical. I am pretty picky about my nut and/or seed butters. It was relatively inexpensive compared to most so I bought it. What an excellent product and a nice surprise! It was delicious! If you happen to see it at your grocery store I'd say give it a try.

Serving size 2 TBSP
Calories per serving 170
Total fat 10g
Total Carbs 14g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar 4g
Protein 5g

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Not being snarky here, just curious.
    How does chickpea butter differ from humus?

Looking at the ingredients, it looks like they use sunflower seeds instead of sesame seeds (tahini), and sugar instead of savory seasonings.

It's also probably a touch creamier, as it contains palm oil.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Interesting but those calories are too high for me.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Looking at the ingredients, it looks like they use sunflower seeds instead of sesame seeds (tahini), and sugar instead of savory seasonings.

Darn, that's too bad.

Yeah. I wish palm oil wasn't the hot thing right now. It really is so terrible for the environment and other oils work just fine.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Agree - Palm oil is terrible for the environment as far as the media is concerned. But I still had to at least try it.
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. This was interesting Ive never heard of such a thing as chickpea 'butter'
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »

Darn, that's too bad.

Yeah. I wish palm oil wasn't the hot thing right now. It really is so terrible for the environment and other oils work just fine.

I believe I will pass on that product. Good looking out for us @kimny72
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Agree - Palm oil is terrible for the environment as far as the media is concerned. But I still had to at least try it.

I didn't realize there was a media conspiracy spin to this issue.

Anyway this is not the debate forum...

• tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Tried this (snickerdoodle and red velvet flavors) at a party a few months ago. It was weird and good at the same time! ;)
    https://delightedbydesserts.com/
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

I didn't realize there was a media conspiracy spin to this issue.

Anyway this is not the debate forum...

You said the word "conspiracy"
    I didn't
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Clairin wrote: »
    Thanks for posting. This was interesting Ive never heard of such a thing as chickpea 'butter'

You are welcome :)
    Whole Foods has a 7-nut and seed butter. For me there were too many different things going on so it tasted sort of generic. They also have one that is just seeds only, that one is great!

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options

I've tried it, it has the texture of natural peanut butter. The oil rises to the top and leaves a very solid paste at the bottom. It was surprisingly tasty, though! I'd buy it again if it weren't so expensive here.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options

Tried this (snickerdoodle and red velvet flavors) at a party a few months ago. It was weird and good at the same time! ;)
    https://delightedbydesserts.com/

Yes, those are good. A little calorific, but tasty. I had a couple of flavors a while back, I think it was the brownie one and the vanilla one. Afraid to buy a whole carton, because I live alone. ;)