Substitute for bananas in recipies

Options
I am allergic to bananas but a lot of the healthy snacks call for mashed bananas, what can use in its place? If anything....

Thank you

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Applesauce or pears would work.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to bananas but a lot of the healthy snacks call for mashed bananas, what can use in its place? If anything....

Thank you

It really will depend on the recipe. If the banana is mostly there for sweetness I'd bet other fruits would be decent substitutes. But if you're trying to make banana "nice cream" or something similar, the creaminess of frozen banana is what makes it work and is pretty unique I think.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,603 Member
    Options
    If it is mostly sweetness and moisture I agree with apple sauce or other unsweetened tinned fruit blitzed in the food processor. If you need the specific starchiness of a banana, I might consider sweetened avocado, cooked sweet potato, or sweetened tofu, all blitzed in the food processor.
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Thank you

It really will depend on the recipe. If the banana is mostly there for sweetness I'd bet other fruits would be decent substitutes. But if you're trying to make banana "nice cream" or something similar, the creaminess of frozen banana is what makes it work and is pretty unique I think.

Mango has a similar starchiness and sweetness level to banana and so works well in my experience for a frozen 'nice cream'
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Thank you

We will be able to give you better answers if you post the actual recipes.

I have bananas as one of many ingredients in my smoothies, but keep some frozen pineapple on hand in case I run out. This replaces sweetness. It might not work for recipes that are more banana-centric.