Beginner tips on A routine

BlackBijoux
BlackBijoux Posts: 5 Member
edited September 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm 236 lbs at 5'1. I have no idea where to start. I just joined the gym but can't afford their personal trainer ($200/month) any websites or ideas on how to start? I've been doing the treadmill for 20-30 min, stair master for 10, and light hand weights for a random number of reps. I need a routine or I know I'll give up

Replies

• BlackBijoux
    BlackBijoux Posts: 5 Member
    **236 lbs, not 256
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Do whatever exercise you like. Anything is better than nothing for toning up.

Weight loss occurs with being in a calorie deficit.

Combine the two and you're golden. ☺
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Even if you don't use their trainers for personal sessions, most gyms I know of will allow you an induction session (and a follow up some weeks later) where you can discuss your goals with a member of staff and they will set up a programme for you. What you're doing is OK to start with until you get a bit fitter (assuming you are not that fit right now, forgive me if I am wrong) but you need to make sure you are working hard enough to get some fitness results. The weight is largely tackled by diet, especially at this stage. Good luck.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Do whatever exercise you enjoy and you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life. Weight loss and fitness isn't a destination, it's a lifelong process.

Try out different things, both cardio and strength - treadmills, elliptical, swimming, aerobic classes, walking outside, running outside, biking indoors or outdoor. Find what you enjoy and do it a few time sa week. Burn more calories than you consume. Lift to maintain muscle mass. Keep doing it for the rest of your life and boom, permanent weight loss.
  • MsOpus
    MsOpus Posts: 99 Member
    You're off to a great start!
    Ask your gym if they have workout "handouts". Mine offers written routines you can follow with a large variety so you can switch it up.
    Also check for drop in classes at the gym. Often that's included in your membership.
    You can also find a lot of different workouts on you tube. Learning the proper body mechanics for the hand weights will help prevent injury and help you get the most out of the movements.
    Keep on moving!!
  • Some great advice from other posters. I would say the same. Eat in a calorie deficit and pick workouts that you enjoy. Ask someone to show you how to use any equipment you wish to try. Youve made the first step so good on you.