Beginner cycling - advice?

2»

Replies

• dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Focus on time not distance. As a new rider, on a flat trail 30 minutes out and 30 back is as much as you want to take on. If you have a basic fitness level that shouldn't be difficult for your legs, but often times other aches become the limiting factor (e.g. butt, lower back, wrists, knees, neck) depending on your bike position. Generally speaking, many new cyclist tend to have their seat too low. Make sure you can comfortably extend your leg in the down position (heel down) with just a bit of flex.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    First of all, shame on the person who "disagree"d with the recommendation to always wear a helmet.

Second of all, I am a very new bike rider. I mean, I can ride a bike, but I've just started riding for exercise. My first ride out last weekend I did 7 miles. I probably could've done 10, but not more than that. I also think that in the early stages, it's going to depend on your pace. Just listen to your body and have fun!
  • basilandbalm
    basilandbalm Posts: 15 Member
    Thanks! I ended up doing 29 flat, easy miles and most of me loved every minute of it. My wrists, however, were unhappy. This has resulted today in the purchase of an actual (albeit entry level) road bike that was fitted to me. First real ride tomorrow on the new toy!! And this time I’ll take the wise advice above and build mileage slowly 😋
  • PDKL45
    PDKL45 Posts: 11 Member
    What sort of road bike did you get?

I love cycling and I just wanted to say that you're never stuck with the saddle, handgrips and pedals that the bike comes with. All of them can be changed (wider saddle, ergonomic handgrips or gel pads under your bar tape, larger pedals, etc) for relatively little money.

You can also get a bike fit at many bike shops to make sure your position on the bike is correct and not causing you unnecessary pain. A bike fit may seem expensive and unnecessary, but it can transform your riding experience, especially when you're on a new bike.
  • basilandbalm
    I picked a Liv (Giant but women’s fit) Avail. I liked the feel of it and the fact that the tires could be exchanged for gravel tires easily. Not that I don’t like the old steel hybrid I had before, but this is a world better for “fun” riding! They actually did a complimentary fit with the bike as well. I am quite pleased with the results. My frustration this week has been actually having to go back to work (ugh real life lol) and not being able to play with the new toy! Thanks for the tips 😊
  • PDKL45
    Liv are a great brand, I used to ride a Giant myself. They offer great value for money . I have been riding bikes for many years, but have only been back to seriously logging my caloric intake this week. My Google fit app is synced with MyFitnessPal, so I was pleased to see the effect of a 40km bike ride with my (newly) reduced calories.

Have you set any goals with the new bike? One of my regrets, from the first time I started to take cycling for fitness seriously, is that I was not ambitious enough in setting goals for myself. It was only much later that I realized what is possible after only a few months of cycling.
  • MrKilt
    MrKilt Posts: 36 Member
    I would also recommend gloves, even just fingerless mits and chamois cream.
    The gloves will protect hands on the steering wheel and if you come off.
    The cream because its another layer of protection for your......nethers.....when wearing cycling shorts.
    Enjoy!
  • basilandbalm
    Hmm, I keep learning new things... I will take a look for these!

@PDKL45 I’d love to know what you mean by setting more ambitious goals. I’m just having fun and doing what I want right now (and tbh will probably keep doing that for some time longer just because the work schedule right now is killer).

Would be curious how you envision goal setting and what can be achieved, given your own experience
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I’ve been riding for exactly a year. My goals have been shorter time frames, like increasing my mileage for the next few rides, getting up a hill, riding a certain route, etc. Signing up for organized ride events can give you a goal to shoot for. I signed up for a 30 mi ride in June so that gave me a great eArly season goal. I’ve also done a few triathlon events. In my first year I’ve logged 925 miles with a goal to get to 1,000 before winter sets in. It should be very doable. But a year ago, or even 3 months ago I wouldn’t have thought that possible. Your main goal should be to have fun and build your confidence on every ride!!🚴🏻‍♂️🚴🏻‍♂️
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Only 75 mom's to go @lorrpb. You've got this.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    One of my next (road bike) goals is to ride up Sherman Pass from Kettle Falls. I've already done it from Republic, but that side is easier.
  • PDKL45
    In terms of goals, I only really meant distance ridden. Something like getting used to 25 miles (40 kms), before getting out for a 45 mile (about 70 kms) ride or two, to work up to a metric century, 100 kms, or about 60 miles. I got huge encouragement from reaching goals like that a few years ago, when I went back to riding after some time off the bike due to illness and injury and got really serious about it. It was then that I sort of regretted that I hadn't set the same goals for myself earlier on, when I first started to cycle seriously for fitness as an adult, over a decade ago now.

Still, having fun is a major thing, and it's the reason I ride bicycles. I just can't enjoy jogging or running, but I genuinely enjoy cycling, even when I'm really exerting myself, like I would while jogging. So I guess distance, or time, goals are not really as important as just getting out there and being active.
  • basilandbalm
    That’s a helpful perspective. Will definitely give some thought to it. Being intentional about progressing certainly doesn’t exclude fun, and I’d love to think in 3 months I’ll be noticeably better at this
  • ookoolady
    ookoolady Posts: 16 Member
    Don't forget to carry a spare tube or patch kit, air pump or CO2 pump, and know how to fix a flat!
  • PDKL45
    The above is really good advice. Fixing a flat is really easy and all of the things you need for it are cheap and available at any bike shop. I also carry a couple of multitools (1 bike specific, the other a leatherman) for basic repairs and tightening loose bolts etc.

One thing I never leave home without these days is my wallet. I once rode 40kms to the other side of the city on Seoul's fantastic bike path network and broke the freehub (the bit that holds your cassette of cogs on the back wheel), so my pedals were spinning uselessly. I only had water bottles that I refilled at public water fountains on the path and no money, so I walked 40 kms (25 miles) home, pushing my bike all the way. I had my phone, but was new to the city in a new job, so all sources of potential help were a few hundred kms away. It wasn't too bad, I got plenty of exercise that day at least, but I've never left my wallet at home again.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    PDKL45 wrote: »
    The above is really good advice. Fixing a flat is really easy and all of the things you need for it are cheap and available at any bike shop. I also carry a couple of multitools (1 bike specific, the other a leatherman) for basic repairs and tightening loose bolts etc.

One thing I never leave home without these days is my wallet. I once rode 40kms to the other side of the city on Seoul's fantastic bike path network and broke the freehub (the bit that holds your cassette of cogs on the back wheel), so my pedals were spinning uselessly. I only had water bottles that I refilled at public water fountains on the path and no money, so I walked 40 kms (25 miles) home, pushing my bike all the way. I had my phone, but was new to the city in a new job, so all sources of potential help were a few hundred kms away. It wasn't too bad, I got plenty of exercise that day at least, but I've never left my wallet at home again.

I have credit card and driver's license in the sleeve on the back of my phone at all times, just in case. I don't carry cash. But definitely spare tube, patches, pump, multitool, pair of latex gloves for when it's going to be too messy of a repair, headlight and rear red lights.