Not getting enough calories

2»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    caitiedid5 wrote: »
    I know that this is probably a silly question, but I have been eating a ton of fruits and veggies which is awesome and I am feeling much better, but I am not getting enough calories for MFP to be happy with me. I am having to eat some sort of junk food to be able to meet my calorie requirements and not be grossly stuffed.
    I have literally been eating fruit for snacks and my meals have been heavily vegetable based. I'm just not sure how to get the calorie requirements needed to make MFP happy and I could use a little advice that isn't scarfing some McDonald's fries. :)

There is a whole world of nutrient dense and calorie dense foods that are not McDonalds french fries.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I'm getting protein from beans and meat, but I only eat meat occasionally. I have been feeling really satisfied on well rounded meals that include the healthy fats that have been recommended.

I guess my question is that as long as I am getting enough nutrients, should I struggle to meet the minimum calorie requirement?

If you are not hitting the 1200 minimum, you are not getting enough nutrients. That is why that low end number is set where it is.
  • StaciMarie2020
    StaciMarie2020 Posts: 68 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'd be curious if you're underlogging? Are you weighing everything?

Have some protein & fat w/ breakfast. Some nut butter or avocado on toast. A couple of eggs.
    Add some rice to the sausage-veggie bowl.

The food you described - unless very small portions - sounds like it could easily be higher on calories than you indicate. Of course it depends on quantities and types. The brat could be 200-400. The bun 100-300. The fries 100-???. 1 ounce (cooked weight) of crumbled sausage in the lunch bowl would be a very small amount of meat/protein and 50-80 calories. Much more if it was 4-6 ounces. Olive oil could be 30-120 or more, depending on how much. Cereal 80-??? depending on how much.

USe a food scale and try to make accurate entries into your food log. If you are already eating more than you think, then adding extra foods may be detrimental. You may just need to improve portion accuracy and focus on macros a bit more to get enough protein, fat.
  • CaitlinELaird
    CaitlinELaird Posts: 106 Member
    I have been weighing and counting meticulously. (I have a food scale at work and at home just to double check.) I know that my portions are right...
  • I agree with everyone that talked about fats. Avocado, nuts, and the good oils. Usually a handful of almonds will send me over lol.
  • StaciMarie2020
    I figured there was no harm in pointing out the possibility. :)
    I have been weighing and counting meticulously. (I have a food scale at work and at home just to double check.) I know that my portions are right...

• StaciMarie2020
    You will probably just need to make an effort to include some of what is lacking in each meal, and add in small snacks. I *could* eat very low calorie every day and still be full if I specifically ate very low cal meals all the time. Example my dinner tonight will be around 200-240: crumbled turkey sausage, pasta sauce, some grated parmesan cheese and a big pile of spaghetti squash 'noodles'. If your meals are that sort of balance (sounds like they are, bulk of your meal is low cal vegetable) then make sure to include some of the higher cal items throughout the day.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited September 2019
    You said you are meeting your protein goals, but what is your goal in grams? you may not be getting enough. Aim for a minimum of 0.8 grams per lb of goal body weight, more is fine.

How much fat are you getting a day. you should aim for 0.35 to 0.45 grams per lb of body weight (lower end if overweight and upper end if in a healthy weight range) as a minimum, more is fine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I literally ate a bowl of cereal to make up my calories today... I’m a little stuffed. 🤣

what is your calorie goal for the day??? I can't imagine having a goal so high that the only way I could reach it is forcing down food.

It's not unusual for people who drastically change how they eat (as the OP did) to find that their appetite is suppressed in the beginning. This is sometimes referred to as a honeymoon period.

That said, @caitiedid5 there are logging errors that people commonly make that cause them to think they are eating less than they actually are that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings