Do I have to eat healthy all the time to lose weight?

Replies

• animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    The advice you've received is solid all you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight. :) What I found has worked best for me (but everyone is different) has been try to eat 3 parts healthy/clean with a good balance of macro's and nutrition to 1 part eat whatever I fancy as long as it fits in my cals. (I'm not trying to lose weight at the moment though)
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    Hi, you say you want to have a treat every day. I gather that a treat for you is junky kind of sweet food. You mention sweet food and I dont think you mean sweetcorn, sweetpotato etc. :-) I treated myself to a super juicy Mango the other day. Im currently treating myself to a soy latte barley drink which I find so soothing and its sweet because the light soy milk is sweetened. So we can treat ourselves to sweet foods without them being junky is what Im getting at. You can have a snickers or whatever as long as its within your calories for the day and still stay in deficit is the answer you are looking for I think.
  • There is actually a more complex answer to your question. If you want to lose MOSTLY FAT, you need to strength train (which in a deficit is less than fun), eat in a caloric deficit, and consume an adequate amount of protein/fats.

Regular Strength training tells your body "we need these muscles, don't burn them for energy"

Eating in a deficit is what is required to lose weight. Basic laws of energy here. But if you aren't strength training, some of what is lost will be muscle (actually you still will lose muscle on a cut but less so with moderately heavy lifting)

Eating in a deficit is not enough. You could have a deficit diet of nothing but donuts and still lose weight, but you'll also lose muscle mass and end up a smaller version of you at roughly the same or even worse body composition.

You need adequate protein, personally I go for 1g/lb of LBM. Fats are responsible for hormone production and having less than 20% of your cals come from fats is a bad thing, more is ok if you so choose. Carbs can make up the rest.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i lost 130 pounds and eat the same foods i always have. difference now, i work out and count calories and the majority of days eat within my calorie goals. i have ice cream or chocolate in some form nearly every day.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    There is actually a more complex answer to your question. If you want to lose MOSTLY FAT, you need to strength train (which in a deficit is less than fun), eat in a caloric deficit, and consume an adequate amount of protein/fats.

Regular Strength training tells your body "we need these muscles, don't burn them for energy"

Eating in a deficit is what is required to lose weight. Basic laws of energy here. But if you aren't strength training, some of what is lost will be muscle (actually you still will lose muscle on a cut but less so with moderately heavy lifting)

Eating in a deficit is not enough. You could have a deficit diet of nothing but donuts and still lose weight, but you'll also lose muscle mass and end up a smaller version of you at roughly the same or even worse body composition.

You need adequate protein, personally I go for 1g/lb of LBM. Fats are responsible for hormone production and having less than 20% of your cals come from fats is a bad thing, more is ok if you so choose. Carbs can make up the rest.
    Actually, muscle loss, as in actual protein structures, on a deficit while resistance training that maintains intensity and with adequate protein, is not likely to happen. Glycogen stores will diminish but that will return the instant one goes back to maintenance. Even on ridiculously harsh deficits like Lyle's RFL.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    No. You can make room in your calories for unhealthy food. It is up to you how you want to do it. If you’re trying to lose, just make sure you log everything.

Some people have a treat daily, some weekly, etc.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited September 2019
    You have to be in an energy deficit to lose weight. You have to eat a healthy diet to be healthy. A healthy diet does not need to be health foods all the time and can certainly contain a treat every day.
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    You know what helps me, so it might help you? I think of my getting-healthier life in terms of weeks, not days. So, once a week or so, I really go "off the rails." I'm not going to stop going out with girlfriends or to social events, and while there, I just have fun -- and for me, part of that is wine/cocktails, and allllll the food. But that is just one (usually) weekend night a week.

The other six days I do my best to stay under the mfp calorie daily limit. Because I'm only 5'3", it's only 1350 calories a day, which isn't a lot for someone who loves cheese and nuts and processed meat! But that once a week allowance lets me still live my life. And it might slow down my getting-healthier process, but it's still happening, and I'm not only miserably looking at my friends chomping on their onion rings or whatever. Don't miss out on life. :)