Low Sodium Diet

Shopping for low sodium food is a real challenge. My sodium goal is 1600 mg a day and one would think that would be easy. NOT SO. Seems if I take a deep breath in the grocery store that I inhale at least 100 mg of sodium! Nevertheless, I’m holding the line with my arch enemy Mr. Sodium.

Replies

• Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    I also follow a lower sodium diet (1,900 mg a day). I find it helpful to use a grocery app such as Walmart (or any local grocery that has an app) to research food labels. SO much easier to read labels on-line than to read labels in the store aisle, and you don't have to buy anything just to use a grocery app.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Oddly enough many Chinese restaurants have "special diet" menus with food that has no oil or salt added for when you want to eat out. I say oddly because the normal menu Chinese food is a guaranteed water fluctuation because of the sodium.

I like to order off that menu because then I can add my own oil and salt and have better control of the calories.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    What kind of foods are you buying that you're so subjected to sodium?

I hit the produce department, the seafood counter, the bulk section for beans and grains, get some sprouted grain bread, eggs and cheese. I never get a whiff of Mr Sodium. 😉

Oh, I also vote for cooking your own meals with fresh whole foods. Yum!