Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Low Sodium Diet

Shopping for low sodium food is a real challenge. My sodium goal is 1600 mg a day and one would think that would be easy. NOT SO. Seems if I take a deep breath in the grocery store that I inhale at least 100 mg of sodium! Nevertheless, I’m holding the line with my arch enemy Mr. Sodium.

Replies

• Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    I also follow a lower sodium diet (1,900 mg a day). I find it helpful to use a grocery app such as Walmart (or any local grocery that has an app) to research food labels. SO much easier to read labels on-line than to read labels in the store aisle, and you don't have to buy anything just to use a grocery app.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Oddly enough many Chinese restaurants have "special diet" menus with food that has no oil or salt added for when you want to eat out. I say oddly because the normal menu Chinese food is a guaranteed water fluctuation because of the sodium.

I like to order off that menu because then I can add my own oil and salt and have better control of the calories.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    What kind of foods are you buying that you're so subjected to sodium?

I hit the produce department, the seafood counter, the bulk section for beans and grains, get some sprouted grain bread, eggs and cheese. I never get a whiff of Mr Sodium. 😉

Oh, I also vote for cooking your own meals with fresh whole foods. Yum!