Macros

Options
Having a hard time keeping my macros in control while keeping my calories in check. I keep seeming to go over in protein or carbs and I have too many calories left at the end of the day. I guess I'm just having trouble finding the balance. If that makes sense?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    calories first, then macros - focus on hitting you caloric goals then focus on macros once you get comfortable (if you want)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,068 Member
    Options
    Over on protein is fine, as long as you're not crazy-far under on fats all the time. Over on fats is fine, as long as you're not simultaneously consistently under on protein by a good lot.

Calories control weight gain/loss/maintenance. Macros are for nutrition, health, satiation, body composition (retaining/building useful muscles), energy level.

If you're not nutritionally deficient in some way at the start (as diagnosed by a doctor), then you can take your time and gradually dial in adequate nutrition, as deanna said. Undernutrition takes time to develop, it's not instant.

Even in the long run, you don't have to hit macro goals exactly. We need a certain minimum of fats, and a certain minimum of protein. (The exact number that's ideal for each of those is more a matter of dispute. ;) ).

That's because we need fats and certain amino acids (proteins) in order to stay alive and thriving, and our bodies can't manufacture them from other nutrients. Carbs are not an "essential nutrient", not because they're bad, not because they aren't useful, but because in a pinch our bodies can in effect manufacture them from other nutrients. (Some people need carbs to feel full, or to have optimal energy; others are less sensitive to them, or find that eating carbs tends to increase appetite unhelpfully. That's individual.)

If you're under but within spitting distance of your protein and fat minimums most days, you're fine, especially if you're over some days, and under other days. Humans are adaptive omnivores, and it'll work out fine. You can eat over those minimums, and (within reason), it's not a problem. "Within reason" means "as long as you can mostly stick to a reasonable calorie goal while doing so, and aren't substantially and consistently under-eating other needs, including enough varied, colorful veggies and fruits for adequate micronutrients").

If you're persistently well under on calories, find a way to eat more (any macro(s)).

Losing weight too rapidly creates health risk. Who wants that?

If you're full, eat something calorie dense (peanut butter, nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil on salad/veggies or other oils for cooking, etc.) . . . or treat foods, especially if your nutrition is decent-ish that day and you just need calories.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If your goal is weight loss/gain, calories are king.
    Macros are personal preference, and there are minimums for good health. Your macro distribution is a guideline, not a specific number you must hit.
    Many of us look at protein and fat as minimums, and let carbs fall where they may.

So don't sweat the macros, just consider them a goal to work toward and keep in mind :smile: