Sleep Apnea

Options
Hi. Is there anyone that has to use Oxygen most part of the day because of their weight? Also does anyone have Sleep Apnea (stop breathing when you sleep). I have to sleep with a special oxygen mask (CPAP) to prevent me from stopping to breath.

Replies

• kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have sleep apnea. Been using a CPap for about 4 years now. I feel absolutely like crap if I dont use it so its 2nd nature for me now. I'm hoping eventually I'll be able to get off the machine once I lose the weight.😊
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    CPAP saved my life. I weighed 285 lbs and climbing. 300 lbs was within easy reach. I had the CPAP, HBP, debilitating back pain and a seemingly permanent cough.

I hated the CPAP at first. But with real sleep, came clear headed thinking. I would most likely have died years ago if I hadn’t made changes. It started with the CPAP.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I was on CPAP and my sleep apnea was cured after losing weight (150). Sleep apnea can be weight related or genetic. Genetic is not cured with weight loss but sometimes surgery can help.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I also have sleep apnea. You mentioned an oxygen mask, but mine just uses regular air. While I would love to get off my CPAP after weight loss, it is unlikely. I have 4 contributing factors, one of which is obesity. Surgery can alleviate one of the other three, but I would still be left with two factors, so I most likely will just live with it.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    I have sleep apnea, but it's unrelated to my weight, which is in the healthy range. I recently went overnight backpacking, so I left my CPAP at home. Worst night of sleep ever. I could literally feel my soft tissue closing in on my throat. I have a real love/hate relationship with my CPAP. It's a pain in the rear, but boy, do I sleep well with it. Interestingly, my husband also has sleep apnea and a CPAP. He too, is at a healthy weight. Our kids are worried that they're going to need them too.
  • slimdownt
    slimdownt Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have sleep apnea. My study said I stopped breathing 99 times in an hour. I now wear it constantly when I sleep. I have an autopap and love it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,079 Member
    Options
    I have a CPAP-type device (APAP) for sleep apnea. My apnea, as self-perceived, has lessened with weight loss. (I've been at a healthy weight for around 4 years now, after about 30 years of obesity, and 1 year losing.) But it hasn't gone away completely.