FST-7 Training Program--any thoughts?

Hi all--

So, I'm looking to change up programs. I've been pretty consistent with PHAT for a few months now, and the general idea behind FST-7 looks similar, just different implementation. PHAT has been great, it's just getting a bit stale. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the program for any extended period of time, and what folks think of it. I realize there are several versions of it; this, in my book, is a good thing, since it indicates a high degree of flexibility.

For reference, this is the iteration I'm referencing:https://www.transparentlabs.com/blogs/workouts/35379203-fst-7-training-system-by-pro-trainer-hany-rambod

In case it matters: I'm 47, mostly interested in body building (not much in the way of powerlifting), 150lbs., looking to eventually go up to 155. I do strength training 5 days a week, yoga 4-6/week, and cardio twice a week (1 Body Combat class, 1 Spinning class).

Thanks!

Replies

• Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    The facia talk generally sounds like broscience;

"By targeting the fascial layer directly beneath the skin (and above the muscle), when performed at 7 sets, it stretches the fascial layer to capacity, allowing for greater muscle growth."

The lifts themselve seem generally balanced but it's a lot of volume and there's no progressive overload structure. It incorporates the Big 5-squat, bench, row, OHP, and deadlift-which is good, but doing each only once a week isn't ideal. It also places squat and deadlift on the same day; if you're running this I'd suggest moving DL to the "back day."

It also focuses on dumbbells. I'm guessing this is due to the facia theory as dumbbells provide a greater range of motion. My issue with that is if you want to get big you need to lift heavy, and the Big 5-with arguably the exception of OHP-are maximized with barbell.

Doing a boatload of various exercises once a week then trying to increase the next week doesn't seem ideal and frankly sounds like a waste of time.

That being said, I'm a big fan of fully body programs with progressive overloads, e.g. All-Pros or Strong Lifts. I'd suggest looking into them. They're not as "exciting" (you mentioned PHAT was getting stale) but they work. Good luck!
  • RollieThomson
    RollieThomson Posts: 5 Member
    I've done program once and I'm doing it again I quite like it.
  • nknis8556
    nknis8556 Posts: 26 Member
    Thanks for the input! The whole "targeting the fascial layer" bit stuck me as a bit odd; looked something like hypertrophy training, but what do I know.....

What I did like about PHAT is that it targeted each muscle group twice a week. There are other inflections of FST-7 that do something similar; push/pull splits--I'll probably try one of those.