Exercises for people who have runners knee

shamnasasidharan7055
shamnasasidharan7055 Posts: 2 Member
edited September 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi,

People with runners knee generally can’t do much in a gym. Are there any exercises tailored for people who suffer from runners knee.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    “Runners knee” is a vague term used to describe a number of issues.

In most cases, it should also not be considered a permanent condition, rather something you are being treated for or are rehabbing.

So depending on your specific problem, there might be a number of things you can do in a gym, both for general conditioning and to help relieve symptoms.

Hard to be more specific than that without knowing more details.
  • I use a stationary handbike in the gym. Not all gyms have these though and I am not sure how much they cause. It works though and the one I use has water resistance... I'd imagine any upper body workout is fine and also core strengthening workouts. I'm not an expert and unsure what your goals are. If you can walk then walk because walking is really good as well...
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Years ago when I was an avid runner - I developed "runners' knees". Someone suggested switching to cycling for a bit. So I did. Turns out - I LOVED cycling. Became addicted. Was properly fitted for a bike (important I believe) and all knee problems disappeared. Now I'm in my 60s, and back to running again (more like jogging truthfully - LOL). Knees seem to be holding up fine. Anecdotal experience only. I am not an expert....
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    What make you think that people with runner's knee can't do much in a gym? That's not even remotely true. Heck, there are plenty of people who still manage to run despite these conditions.
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Agree with you can go to the gym and strength train and do core. THAT will ultimately pay dividends for your "runners" knee.

Definitely do some foam rolling.

I firmly believe that one of the keys to my longevity as a trail runner is focus on strength. Squats, deadlifts, GHR, Good Mornings, Kettlebell swings. You may have misalignments. Try single leg exercises too. Will challenge you more.
  • CourierSixx
    CourierSixx Posts: 50 Member
    Hi,

People with runners knee generally can’t do much in a gym. Are there any exercises tailored for people who suffer from runners knee.

I used to be a runner. I loved it. But my knees are now garbage. I ride a bike instead. The key to not have your knees get up happy while cycling is to stay in the right gear and to watch your cadence.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Hi,

not sure where you go this from but it is not even close to true. I have runner's knee (along with a number of other/related knee conditions) and while I cannot do certain things (i.e. squats, lunges), I can do just about anything else! but as others said, you should get yourself examined by a doctor and find out what the actual problem is and how to fix/deal with it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Azdak wrote: »
    “Runners knee” is a vague term used to describe a number of issues.

In most cases, it should also not be considered a permanent condition, rather something you are being treated for or are rehabbing.

So depending on your specific problem, there might be a number of things you can do in a gym, both for general conditioning and to help relieve symptoms.

Hard to be more specific than that without knowing more details.

This^^^
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    FTR, I have runner's knee. I routinely do half-marathons, I completed a full trail marathon in February, and I have a 50K coming up. I also do a ton of weight training and other strength exercises.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    When does it hurt? When going downhill or down stairs? Then you have ITB issues. Other times? Then it is something else. Without a proper diagnosis anything anyone here tells you could be harmful to the long term health of your knee.

FWIW - Typically 'runners knee' has very little to do with the knee. It's usually an ITB issue which is more likely caused by your hips. I had this issue a few years ago and foam rolling the top of the IT band seemed to help (although it was mostly rest and strengthening that cured me).

One more point I feel I should make here... Running is not bad for your knees (the opposite - studies show runners have fewer knee issues). The problems usually arise from existing injuries, horrible form, or the completely wrong footwear (I'm guessing its more of combo of all of these).
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited September 2019
    Once you recover from symptoms of swelling and pain try controlled cycling, leg presses, wall sits, static lunges. Then continue working on your posterior chain—especially glutes. That is the guidance doctors and therapists gave me. I injured my knee playing tennis.

@dewd2 makes great points.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    I have knee pain on the inside of my knee - official diagnosis is "pain with activity". While I can't do high impact, lunges, or squats, there is still a LOT I can do in the gym.

I suggest you see your doctor, get an official diagnosis and referral to physical therapy, and let the PT design a workout for you.
  • Thanks a lot for all the valuable responses.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    have you tried knee sleeves? mine i wear fairly tight, and it makes a lot of exercises doable. i can't do them as fast or as hard as i used to, and i'm not trying lunges or leg presses, but there's lots of other leg stuff i can do as long as i don't overdo.

btw, in addition to hand bicycling (i do this on a mini exercise bike, and it gets my heart rate up and keeps it there if done with enough intensity), you can do lots of situps, back extensions, bicep curls, leg extensions, tricep kickbacks, bench presses and just about every other kind of press, butterflys, cable cross overs, ab crunches, and pretty much every kind of upper body move.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    have you tried knee sleeves? mine i wear fairly tight, and it makes a lot of exercises doable. i can't do them as fast or as hard as i used to, and i'm not trying lunges or leg presses, but there's lots of other leg stuff i can do as long as i don't overdo.

btw, in addition to hand bicycling (i do this on a mini exercise bike, and it gets my heart rate up and keeps it there if done with enough intensity), you can do lots of situps, back extensions, bicep curls, leg extensions, tricep kickbacks, bench presses and just about every other kind of press, butterflys, cable cross overs, ab crunches, and pretty much every kind of upper body move.

It's safest to get a diagnosis before using any sort of brace. Without knowing exactly what the problem is, the brace could help, could do nothing, or could even make the injury worse. "Runners knee" is a catchall term for a variety of knee injuries, not all of which would be helped by the same type of brace (or by any brace at all).
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2019
    Years ago when I was an avid runner - I developed "runners' knees". Someone suggested switching to cycling for a bit. So I did. Turns out - I LOVED cycling. Became addicted. Was properly fitted for a bike (important I believe) and all knee problems disappeared. Now I'm in my 60s, and back to running again (more like jogging truthfully - LOL). Knees seem to be holding up fine. Anecdotal experience only. I am not an expert....

I had the same experience as you. I moved to Stationary Bike and indoor rowing. I now row and don't run any longer. While I agree with most of what's said above, if you truly find out you have Chronic Runner's knee, the worst thing to do is run through the pain. By the time I stopped running, I had it well over a year. It also took around 8 months to finally go away after stopping running. The longer you try to run with Runner's knee, the harder it will be to eliminate it. I did EVERYTHING imaginable that you're supposed to do. Nothing worked.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Water running/walking, ideally in deep water with a flotation belt to keep you upright
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Hi,

My first suggestion would be to have your knee problem diagnosed, as Azdak pointed out "runners knee" is a vague term that describes a myriad of injuries.

It's not unusual, for example, for hip and/or glute weakness to manifest itself as knee pain and those can usually be addressed through exercises. Check with a PT and follow their recommendations and you may find yourself a happy runner again.

Certainly there should be no limitations on upper body / core exercises at the gym, you may even be able to row or cycle comfortably (make sure that your bike is set up properly)