Need advice

Options
So I’m 24 years old and gained over 100 lbs since I turned 18 and got the ability to buy fast food for literally every meal.

My current stats are:

Height: 5 ft 8
Weight: 275
Waist: 56 inches

What should my goal be for weight and waist to be considered healthy? And what is the best way to get there?

Any advice would be great.

Replies

• noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    According to BMI, you should be between 125 to 158 lbs to be healthy.

According to waist to height ratio, you should have a waist of at most 34 inches.

However, these are just generalizations and should be taken with an enormous grain of salt. As you proceed on your journey to become more healthy, you'll probably make your own discoveries about what fits your body and lifestyle, and these numbers should provide nothing but a reference point for starting out.

As for how to get there, poke around these forums for a bit. There are threads called "most helpful posts" pinned to the top of discussion boards. I'd start by reading those. (Might take a few days.)

Once you've done that, you'll have a pretty good idea of how CICO (calories in, calories out) works, have an overall idea about all the different diets out there, and maybe have some ideas on what kind of exercise you'd like to try out. Plot something out and start out with a short-term goal, like "I want to stay under xxx calories for a month", or "I'd like to be able to run xx miles at a time by the end of the year". Start out from there and see what happens.

Good luck.
  • Jockyscott95
    Jockyscott95 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »

According to waist to height ratio, you should have a waist of at most 34 inches.

However, these are just generalizations and should be taken with an enormous grain of salt. As you proceed on your journey to become more healthy, you'll probably make your own discoveries about what fits your body and lifestyle, and these numbers should provide nothing but a reference point for starting out.

As for how to get there, poke around these forums for a bit. There are threads called "most helpful posts" pinned to the top of discussion boards. I'd start by reading those. (Might take a few days.)

Once you've done that, you'll have a pretty good idea of how CICO (calories in, calories out) works, have an overall idea about all the different diets out there, and maybe have some ideas on what kind of exercise you'd like to try out. Plot something out and start out with a short-term goal, like "I want to stay under xxx calories for a month", or "I'd like to be able to run xx miles at a time by the end of the year". Start out from there and see what happens.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot. The obvious thing is obviously to quit the junk food buts it’s much harder that I thought, It’s almost like I’m addicted or something :#

As for exercise I’ll need to look something gentle up. I used to be very active but I can’t even climb the stairs in my house without getting seriously winded anymore :'(
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    There are some great stickies post at the top of the getting started forums.
    My main suggestion would be to not try to lose aggressively as that might lead to binging.
    Take it slow and steady.
    You can start by tracking your normal routine for a week and then you'll know how many calories you normally eat (work out a daily average).
    Then reduce that by 500 for a 1lb loss per week. You'll be surprised by how much food you can still eat, including takeaways and 'junk'.
    Don't deprive yourself of the food you enjoy.
    Good luck!
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »

Good luck.

Thanks a lot. The obvious thing is obviously to quit the junk food buts it’s much harder that I thought, It’s almost like I’m addicted or something :#

As for exercise I’ll need to look something gentle up. I used to be very active but I can’t even climb the stairs in my house without getting seriously winded anymore :'(

Well, the good thing about CICO is that you don't need to cut anything out. It's all about moderation. I could eat a cheeseburger with fries and still be within my calorie limit and hit all my macros, by playing around with the other stuff I eat.

Maybe you could track what you eat for a week without changing anything, to see where you are now. Then slowly replace things - instead of Rainbow Hoops, eat oatmeal for breakfast. Hungry halfway into the afternoon, get an apple with yogurt instead of the pudding. Steady does it.

As for exercise, I'd say finding something you like and having fun doing it is the most important factor, since that makes you more likely to stick to it. Working up to something is pretty fun too, and you'd be surprised how much certain activities can be scaled down. Just (another) two cents.