Proper base for starting a Marathon Training Program

Options
How many miles a month should someone be running before seriously starting a Marathon training program? For how long should that someone be running those miles? Does it really make a difference, or can someone just start with a training program? I've started to train for a marathon in October of next year (2020). Last month (August) I did 61 miles and am on a pace to do 53 this month (September 19). Thanks all

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    most plans say be able to run for about an hour at a single time before transitioning - but it all depends on what plan you are looking at

i'd say that find a plan that has a good base building section
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    There are beginner plans that start at a base of 20-25 mpw. They will usually get you to the start line healthy but undertrained. If you want to do well, a long term base of 35 mpw over at least 6 months is better. The longer you have been running with a strong base, the better your stamina will be. It's a cumulative effort. So you can run as a novice with minimal mileage, and finish in 5 or 6+ hours, or you can train 30-40 mpw for a couple of years and run sub-4 hours or train 70+ mpw and run sub 3:00.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Many beginner plans literally start from nothing and start you out with lots of walk breaks.

I'd already run a marathon last year and was regularly running 10miles plus when I started training this year. I started on the 1st of Jan with the 10mile long run and by mid March was running 22miles for my long run. (My marathons were in April)

With you having over a year, I'd start with a half marathon plan and then try to keep up with running 10 miles at least once a month until the 16weeks before the marathon when you can start the marathon training plan (which you can then adapt to take your mileage in to account, I took my long run up by 1 mile every other week instead of the big jumps in the plan).

I'm taking a year off marathons (unless I get a place at london) but am keeping my mileage up ready and unless I have a race I'm working on a 4 week cycle, 6miles, 8miles, 6miles, 10miles. If I find out I've got a place in London then I'd probably up that to 6/10/6/10 until Jan when I'd start an actual marathon plan.

Eta: my average monthly mileage is/was 100miles/month