Reaction to vaccine

Options
I do a lot of adventure travel so I have to get a lot of vaccines. I am going on my third "yellow card" of vaccines and have never had a problem. The MMR one was a little tough but nothing that impeded my exercise routine. I just finished my second dose of the new shingles vaccine and OMG I was in bed most of the day yesterday - body aches like the flu and my arm was sore. The first dose had me feeling bad for 4 days. Normally I wouldn't question getting these but now I'm thinking maybe I should have just taken my chances with the first vaccine - zostavax - which is only about 50% effective which is why there is the new one.

I just wonder if anyone else has had this kind of reaction and why they don't warn you about it. Seems like my travel vaccine place should have said something. I just did the cholera drink and have 2 more rabies shots and I didn't have an issue with those.

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    The shingles shot (the new one) is THE WORST SHOT EVER. I have five sisters. Three of them and my mother had all had it before I did, so I was plenty warned. I usually go for a swim after shots and rarely, if ever, have problems. I thought my flipping arm was going to fall off. My reactions to the first and second dose were different (neither was painless), and my sisters reported the same thing. I'd go ahead with the second one if only because the people I know who have had shingles said they'd much rather put up with the misery of a vaccine reaction than the pure hell of shingles. My husband just had his first shingles shot and was miserable too. It's a beast.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    No. I had zostavax, shingles, and 10 years of PHN.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My friend had it and her reaction lasted about 3 days. She was infamous this possibility. Getting shingles is much worse.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I've had shingles three times and am considering the vaccine but it sounds more painful than the actual disease is. 😞
  • quemalosuerte
    quemalosuerte Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My FIL got the first shingles shot last friday and spent most of saturday in the tailgating RV wrapped in 2 sleeping bags and a jacket, shivering, and weakly complaining that he couldn’t move his arm. It’s a rough one.
  • Seachange_dogs
    Seachange_dogs Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've had shingles (I was like 25 so it would have been pretty unusual for me to get the shingles vaccine) and I highly do not recomend it. Blisters across my back, down my arm and across my breasts (yeah, bra wearing was not fun), anti-virals that made me nauseous and still some scaring on my back. Take an ibuprofen (provided you aren't allergic) and get whatever shots you need that might reduce your shingles chances...
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    My daughter was allergic to eggs. Some of the childhood vaccines are "grown" in an egg-based substance. She was given the vaccine, and we had to wait at the pediatricians office for an hour. She would have a minor skin reaction. It's possible you might have an allergy to a component in the vaccine.