Diet lies

Options
Hello friends, I have been saying this for years. The is an amazing article I saw yesterday that is a must post. I am assuming this woman used to work at either nutrisystem or jenny craig. My guess is JC since NS hasn't had centers for many years. It's powerful and honest.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/iris-higgins/an-open-apology-to-all-of_b_3762714.html

Replies

• helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It's also been posted on here many, many times.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It should be posted daily here!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I haven't read that before. Very eye-opening. It just shows how there is no cookie-cutter plan that will work for everyone. We ARE different in our caloric and nutrition needs, and we have to look at our bodies as individual and find what works best and is the healthiest approach for US.

I have lost weight in the past on Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem, and kept the weight off for some time afterward. So it can be good for some people for a short time to lose some extra weight. But you do need to know your body to know if the calorie level and nutrition balance is right for you.
    You also need to learn to cook your own meals and plan your calories and macros yourself. You can't go from pre-packaged meals back to your normal eating and expect the weight to stay off.

So I think the writer may have been just a tad hard on herself. We are all adults and need to be responsible for our own health, and she didn't hold a gun to any of her clients heads to make them follow the plan.
    Granted, there probably should be a better interview process for people starting on those plans, to make sure that it will be right for them. And there should be lower carb options for diabetics and insulin resistant clients.

Yes, real food is ultimately better than pre-packaged processed meals, but for some people, it can be a starting point for better health.

And their meals are no different than buying Lean Cuisines in the supermarket, they just cost a lot more and you get a 'coach' with them.

Me personally, I prefer cooking my own foods.
  • happypath101
    Options
    WOW! That is a great article! Thanks so much for sharing.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It should be posted daily here!

That's what "bump" is for!
  • vcancel
    vcancel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If it bothers you do much, don't read it... Geez.
  • vcancel
    vcancel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Awesome article Mer... You should post it daily for everyone who is new, re - entering the healthy lifestyle world or just for the hell of it.

I agree that the writer was hard on herself but if it makes her feel better to apologize then go for it. Her intentions were never to hurt anyone intentionally.

I do have to say that I'm glad I don't deal with any of that self - hatred anymore. Those days are long over as far as feeling like I've "cheated on my diet" etc. I'm not on a diet. I eat healthy and I exercise every day. It's just what I do now. If I want ice cream, I eat it. I have a healthy portion and I enjoy every bite.

It's not easy when you first start especially when you have a lot of old bad habits but create new healthy habits even if it's just one to start like drinking more water. Next thing you know you'll be losing and making even better choices on a daily basis.

I mean really isn't that what this really is anyway? A choice? You choose to be fat and eat poorly and not exercise. No different than choosing to be at a healthy weight , eat right and exercise... :-D