Where do you find pine nuts?

Options
melodyg
melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
I got a great deal on a bunch of basil at the Farmer's Market and was thinking of making some pesto... but I have no idea where to find pine nuts in the grocery store! I looked everywhere they carried nuts. Any ideas? Do I need to go somewhere like Whole Foods (I was just at Kroger)?

Anyone have any better ideas for good ways to use basil?

Replies

• mandikaye
    mandikaye Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    They usually have them in the nut section on the baking aisle - where the bagged almonds, pecans, and walnuts are.

They *definitely* have them at Whole Foods, but you should find them in the regular grocery store too.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    At my grocery store (Hannafords), they have them both in the baking aisle AND in the produce section. Good luck! : )

I don't like basil, so I wouldn't be able to give you anything.............sorry!
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've always bought them in the produce section.

Also try the Parmesan Stuffed chicken breast w/strawberries recipe I sent you. You use basil in that! I usually use a lot more than it calls for in the recipe. YUM :tongue:
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    On a ventriloquist's dummy. :smile:

(Sorry; I just couldn't resist.)
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    That was very funny!! In my town they are outrageously expensive. Supposed to be really good for you though. Oh tomatoe basil soup or salad is fab!
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    There everywhere out here. I live in Santa Fe, NM and it's like a staple out here. Doesn't help, but a tasty tidbit of informaton. :laugh:
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    check the bulk bin @ whole foods. they're very expensive, so you probably want to buy just what you need.

i've made pesto plenty of times without the pine nuts.

don't forget the peccorino! (or parmesean) yum yum!

oh, for other uses of basil

tomato basil soup
    basil wrapped ricotta gnocci
    pho soup w/ fresh basil
    pasta w/ basil, cheese & garlic
    in salads
    basil mayonnaise
    in rice w/chicken
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    You could also substitute almonds, they stay fresher longer and have less oil.
  • jeweljade
    jeweljade Posts: 93
    Options
    If you go to walmart they are in the produce section usually with the packaged dried fruits and nuts. They aren't with the regular mixed nuts and stuff in our walmart.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    If your mainstream grocery has a bulk food section, check the area in that department where they have nuts, and you might find them there. Also, if there is a Trader Joe's, that might be another possibility.
  • dharmachic
    dharmachic Posts: 21
    Options
    I second the almond suggestion, it's actually the nut of choice in a type of pesto called "Trapenese" and it is DELICIOUS!

Just roast the almonds in a dry pan, then throw them in the food processor with some basil, tomatoes, drizzle of olive oil, salt, capers and anchovies (optional, but they're really good!), then toss the mixture in cooked pasta, and add some parmesan cheese, and voila! So easy and the nuttiness of the roasted almonds really add a great dimension of flavor!

I actually prefer almonds now in my pesto than pine nuts, which is great since they're cheaper and easier to find.:smile:
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    walnuts are interchangeable with pine nuts in pesto. here is *the* best recipe:
    2 cups basil leaves, washed and patted dry
    4-6 good-sized garlic gloves
    1 cup shelled walnuts or pine nuts
    1 cup extra virgin olive oil (more to thin)
    1 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1/4 to 1/2 cup grated romano cheese
    salt and pepper
    combine basil, garlic and nuts in a food processor. chop. leave motor running and slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream. shut off food processor. add cheese and a grinding of salt and pepper. process to blend.
    it makes 2 cups.
  • GrammaPower
    GrammaPower Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Best BULK price I have found is at Costco! Regular food store price is way outrageous!
  • SidAZ
    SidAZ Posts: 3
    Options
    Try a Middle Eastern store. The ones where I live usually carry them much cheaper than any typical grocer or market.
  • navstar
    navstar Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I couldn't find them either, so I asked and they ordered some in for me from their warehouse I only bought one pack:blushing: (200g) to try them, and now everytime we go past them on the shelf my husband nudges me and says "look there's your nutty things!":bigsmile:
  • sheyna1983
    sheyna1983 Posts: 137
    Options
    They have pine nuts in the bulk section at safeway. They're really expensive though. They're allowed on my diet so I went to get some but I dunno what to do with them. They're not exactly the kind of nuts you can just eat on their own. Do you add it to salads??
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Try a Middle Eastern store. The ones where I live usually carry them much cheaper than any typical grocer or market.
    Very true!! Ohhhhh if you're making it for the first time, I'd HIGHLY recommend you use the yummy pinenuts to make it authentic. Bulk they are decent priced, just buy what you need and you're set. FAR fresher than packaged as well. :love:

Becca:drinker:
  • melodyg
    Options
    walnuts are interchangeable with pine nuts in pesto. here is *the* best recipe:
    2 cups basil leaves, washed and patted dry
    4-6 good-sized garlic gloves
    1 cup shelled walnuts or pine nuts
    1 cup extra virgin olive oil (more to thin)
    1 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1/4 to 1/2 cup grated romano cheese
    salt and pepper
    combine basil, garlic and nuts in a food processor. chop. leave motor running and slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream. shut off food processor. add cheese and a grinding of salt and pepper. process to blend.
    it makes 2 cups.

Thanks! I don't have a food processor so was HOPING I could use a blender if I chopped things up really small to begin with. Think that would work? :)
  • melodyg
    Options
    Thanks, all! I actually used up the basil before getting to the pesto... but I'll definitely keep all of your suggestions in mind for next time I buy a bunch of basil!
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    There are some great recipes in here, awesome girls!:drinker: