Re-Starting SL 5x5

Options
For about the third time, I'm going to start this program. But I want to do it right this time. Previously, I stalled out several months in, got bored/frustrated, got annoyed at working out in my dank garage, and threw in the towel. This time, I'm taking advantage of my local university's awesome rec center (costs me ~400/year, w/locker and towels included!). I've done SL 5x5 there before, but it's been a couple of years. Which brings me to: Today's issues.

First, and I never thought this would be me saying this, but I'm saying it: I'm suddenly really self-conscious about being in the free weight section. I tried to start the program a couple of weeks ago but literally chickened out.

Second, I really want to push past the stall points this time. The first one I know I'm going to hit is OH. Anything more than the bar, and I'm struggling, contorting my body to push the bar up. Bad form, yes. I don't want that.

Third, I don't think I've ever paid nearly enough attention to the Food and Rest parts of the equation, which might be why I had problems in the past. Any pointers in that area?

Finally, I'm turning 40 in a few months. It seems like that might be a handicap. We'll see.

I guess I'm just asking for a pep talk and any food/rest pointers. Thanks!

Oh, and no, this is not a jonmarrow alt account.

Replies

• wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You need to learn how to grind. 45# press is not heavy and with proper form you should be able to grind on a rep for at least five seconds before calling it quits. Need to learn what “hard” really means and 45# press is not hard. Now a 150# press on the other hand...

Also on press don’t be afraid to go up in smaller increments even 1# if necessary. I bought some 2” washers from fastenal that are 1/2# each and work nicely. Also I would suggest 3x5 instead of 5x5 ala starting strength.

As for eating I like this simple and practical approach:

https://www.andybaker.com/building-a-simple-diet-for-mass/

You got this friend!
  • wiigelec
    Options
    Honestly what I would really suggest if you are really serious about getting stronger is:

1) buy this book:
    https://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-Basic-Barbell-Training/dp/0982522738

2) join forum at https://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/ and keep a log there. Also record and post form videos. If you can go to a coach and get instructed in the proper form. https://startingstrength.org/site/coaches

3) check out the early episodes of the barbell logic podcast where the go over the early stages of the novice progression https://barbell-logic.com/basics-strength-training-strength/

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options

I am assuming you are a woman of average height, weight, and have not lifted for ~a year.

Are you using the men’s Oly bar and stalling out on the OHP?

Try the women’s bar it’s ~10lbs lighter. You can then incrementally work your way up. If your gym doesn’t have the light plates, you may have to get your own, or ask them to bring them in.

I asked my gym for a woman’s bar and they were nice enough to bring that in and a 17lbs bar.

For me, a petite light woman, the 17bar was great as I could start light enough to work on form using a barbell, as opposed to dumbbells, and still progress. (A way different balance/form needed between the two in my experience and I had to start lower than my dumbbell weight)

Turning 40, no problem, a lot of people didn’t start lifting until that age or older, I was over 60.

(@quiksylver296 started lifting at around your age and now competes in the Nationals. She inspires me not to set limits, but to reach for the sky.)

If you really struggle with 5x5, look at AllPro, it is a rep over weight progression.

Rest, my experience.
    I needed to drop to LISS on my alternate days for a good few month until I had adjusted to the stress of lifting.
    Do make sure you have one full rest day a week.
    I found it frustrating taking the prescribed rest between set times initially. Now I take longer if I feel I need it. It helps with my recovery.

Diet:
    Small deficit if your losing,
    Adequate protein, 0.8-1g lbm.
    Eat back those few lifting cals you get, and any other exercise cals.

You will put on 1-5 lbs water/glycogen weight, that is all it is. You will carry that weight while you lift as it is needed for repair.

Cheers, h.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    It's a very simple and common issue you experienced.

SL is a LP, one cannot not run it past 2-6 months depending how you started it without stalling. In fact, it's inefficient to do so unless you are content with lifting the same weight and/or work on technique which is pretty silly from what Info you state. LP's should not be grinded out in hopes of getting through a plateau. It will not work otherwise there would be people squatting many thousands of pounds. Let's think long term here.

One stalls from that template or any LP template for one of two reasons, lack of volume or unable to recover adequately before the next session You can do all the deloading and build up to intensity you want. If the volume stays the same, you won't see any progress outside of possibly improved technique.

My reccomendation is either start with SL again if you have been absent from lifting. I would not recommend starting with the empty barbell, actually start with a weight you can complete the lifts/volume and go from there. Or just find any template you fancy and run that until the first signs 9f stalling.

From there, just run more appropriate programming that has slightly more volume with auto regulation built in To allow for recovery.
  • wiigelec
    Options
    Here is some information that may help you continue making progress when you are stalling:

https://startingstrength.com/article/minimum-effective-dose-for-maximum-strength