Running on dark mornings

I usually get my runs done first thing in the morning before work (and I have to leave for work at 7am). As winter approaches the mornings are getting noticeably darker. I’m beginning to think about running with a light but am not sure what’s best to use.

I normally run on pavements. Some of the roads are streetlit and most are fairly light traffic areas so it’s more to help me see what I’m treading in than for safety from traffic. (It’s the sort of area where if I was WALKING alone without a torch I wouldn’t be stressed about my personal safety).

Anyway. Those who run with a light, what do you use? Head-torch? Hand torch? Something else? Or do I just not bother and accept I might tread in the odd dog poo in the areas that the street lights are poor?
Any advice or suggestions welcomed.

Replies

• pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Are you in the UK? Decathlon do a fab torch, possibly by kalenji? It's a little harness you wear and it has a front and back light. I love mine!
  • Scallyboo
    Scallyboo Posts: 126 Member
    I tie a head torch around my waist and wear a highly reflective jacket.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Petzl headlamp. Mine has 3 brightness settings, can be set to blink and can switch between white and red light. I used to run sans light - I loved it right until I took a really nasty fall because of an unseen pothole.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    1) Headlamp to see where I'm going

2) LED/reflector vest so drivers see me.

I just bought this vest. I haven't used it yet, but I think it's a bit heavy and perhaps too bright. I kind if wish I'd just gotten an LED belt.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DBVSG8C/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_hXmIDb1VGARVF

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    I bought a reflective chest harness to wear for my evening runs. I don't use a light since there are enough streetlights where I run for me to see fine; I'm just worried about drivers not seeing me.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I have a Petzel head lamp as well. I wear it around my chest because I find I can angle the light better and it also doesn't slip. Sometimes I just carry it in my hand. I am thinking about getting a pair of knuckle lights.

I also wear a Nox gear vest. They are kind of pricey but I run in the dark enough that I figured it was worth the money for my safety. I recommend wearing at least a reflective vest if you will be on any kind of roads. They are very cheap considering they can save your life.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I hadn’t thought of a head-torch worn elsewhere (or the specific chest strap torch, and I have loads of Decathlon vouchers...).
    Think I’m going to experiment a bit with one of our old head-torches that the straps are tatty on (that way if I permanently stretch it, it’s no great loss). Also may look at fixing one to a belt. Anyone do that?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I hadn’t thought of a head-torch worn elsewhere (or the specific chest strap torch, and I have loads of Decathlon vouchers...).

It is a good idea. I could put one of my head lamps on the new vest with cable-ties. Hmmm...

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    I will second the Kaleji run light. I'm in the US and went to great trouble to get one of these because it's so good. I dread the day the light dies and I have to replace it.
  • kirstymn
    kirstymn Posts: 90 Member
    I carry a small hand torch. Mainly so others can see me. I like to be able to shine it in their direction so I can be sure they’ve seen me. I run in fairly well lit areas so don’t need the light to see where I’m going.

I’ve nearly been hit by a car, a couple of cyclists and another runner nearly ran straight into me once when I wasn’t carrying my torch (he didn’t have one either but I was clearly paying more attention than him since I saw him and managed to dodge out of the way in time!)
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    i like this headlamp as it is ridiculously light:
    https://www.petzl.com/GB/en/Sport/ACTIVE-headlamps/BINDI

I also wear this and no car drivers can miss you at night:
    https://www.provizsports.com/en-gb/reflect360-mens-running-gilet.html
  • EllaLilly
    EllaLilly Posts: 6 Member
    Another vote for Petzl headlamp.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    dougii wrote: »
    Petzl headlamp. Mine has 3 brightness settings, can be set to blink and can switch between white and red light. I used to run sans light - I loved it right until I took a really nasty fall because of an unseen pothole.

Me too. I can see well enough to without a light, but after two cars (whose drivers I was sure had seen me because they were looking right at me) almost hit me within a week, I realized that I needed to run with a light.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Running with anything in my hands was always weird. Headlamp I tried once seemed to hurt my vision more than help it until I started running with a baseball cap to shield my eyes from it. They make LED vests that have a chest lamp now that I've thought about getting for the winter months.
  • beckyrpl
    beckyrpl Posts: 73 Member
    I used to run @ 4:30 am - headlamp was a 'must'. I also wore a reflective vest, and wore strobe/flashing wrist bands. Really important that drivers see you.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    I will second the Kaleji run light. I'm in the US and went to great trouble to get one of these because it's so good. I dread the day the light dies and I have to replace it.

Those are good, but i'd also clip on an LED to the back a headlamp. It's easier to gauge the distance, speed, and direction of a moving object when there are two light sources instead of one (according to studies). A high light source is also more visible from a distance or when you're near other car lights.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I run a lot at night and carry a small light in a vest pocket and a headlamp. I picked up a belt with flashing red lights, but don't use it as much when I run as the traffic is much slower.

LEDs are crazy powerful now and there are so many options - red lights, white, dimmers, etc.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    My Petzl LED headlamp has given me yeoman service and has been bright enough to run on pitch black pathways. I also picked up a NOX gear lighted vest a couple of years ago as part of my running route takes me on dark streets - true story, I got stopped by the police one morning, he wanted to know where he could buy one as they could see me a mile away.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    VioletRojo wrote: »

Those are good, but i'd also clip on an LED to the back a headlamp. It's easier to gauge the distance, speed, and direction of a moving object when there are two light sources instead of one (according to studies). A high light source is also more visible from a distance or when you're near other car lights.

The Kalenji has a red light on the back.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i have a baseball cap with leds built into the brim.
    reflective bands.
    for cold weather i have a fully reflective winter beanie.