Magnesium?

Options
Hey all I've been taking magnesium glycinate for about two years just because I've read how important it is to replenish because the soil is lacking so there's not much in food anymore, anyways within the last few months I started getting anxiety and not sleeping very well so I cut out the mag and the anxiety has gone away and I sleep better,do you think that it helped at first cuz I was deficient and now that's been corrected? Did it just turn on me? I'm just curious who else supplements with magnesium and if it's helped,hindered or no difference,not an important issue I'm just curious 👀

Replies

• lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I take magnesium threonate before bed for sleep, and it's really helped a lot. I get to sleep faster and feel generally more calm. I know the different types of magnesium supplements can have different effects, so you might want to look into that aspect.
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    From what I know magnesium links in with many other nutrients in the body and so is a very important element. It aids sleep and anxiety because of its links with neuro transmitters and hormones involving serotonin and dopamine and nerves. It can easily be that your body has gone out of synch and is now over supplementing yes. A blood test would give information on whats going on.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    What you said. I take magnesium. Occasionally. If I’m sleeping well, I don’t take it, if I notice I’m not sleeping as well, I take it. I’ve looked for smaller dosage pills so I can take them daily, but haven’t found any.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    If you live in the U.S., where supplements aren't regulated, my guess would be that your latest batch had something in it that it shouldn't have, which apparently is very common when consumer groups test supplements. (Also very common is not having the stuff in the supplement that the label claims is in it.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Hey all I've been taking magnesium glycinate for about two years just because I've read how important it is to replenish because the soil is lacking so there's not much in food anymore, anyways within the last few months I started getting anxiety and not sleeping very well so I cut out the mag and the anxiety has gone away and I sleep better,do you think that it helped at first cuz I was deficient and now that's been corrected? Did it just turn on me? I'm just curious who else supplements with magnesium and if it's helped,hindered or no difference,not an important issue I'm just curious 👀

What was the brand and form of magnesium? I used to take magnesium aspartate and it had no effect on sleep.

Good points below. Might want to look for a brand that has performed well on independent tests. (Make sure you are actually getting an independent test and not a knock off, ex: Consumer Reports, not Consumer + [something easily confused with Reports].
    If you live in the U.S., where supplements aren't regulated, my guess would be that your latest batch had something in it that it shouldn't have, which apparently is very common when consumer groups test supplements. (Also very common is not having the stuff in the supplement that the label claims is in it.)
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I take magnesium FOR my anxiety. I take magnesium citrate, 500mg. I use many store brands and I've never had an ill effect.

Over supplementation leads to diarrhea, you'd know if you took too much.

Depends on how much you have been taking. Overdose can be dangerous. And if you are taking any other medications with it, as there can be interactions.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I take magnesium FOR my anxiety. I take magnesium citrate, 500mg. I use many store brands and I've never had an ill effect.

Over supplementation leads to diarrhea, you'd know if you took too much.

Depends on how much you have been taking. Overdose can be dangerous. And if you are taking any other medications with it, as there can be interactions.

Yes it USED to work great for me for the anxiety but now it's backfiring all of a sudden,the one I take is Solaray magnesium glycinate and each capsule is 100 mg I was only taking 2 a day way less than the suggestion of 4, magnesium citrate gave me horrible anxiety 😵 I guess everyone is different 🤷
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    That's a curious observation. I also take magnesium every night before bed and have done so for a few years. I started taking it because of constipation. The last year or so I can't sleep and have anxiety and depression. I may quit taking it for a while to see if that makes any difference but my doctor also just told me that since losing weight I may be overmedicated for my thyroid so it could just be that...
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    You could get a Magnesium RBC (Red Blood Cell) test done. This will more or less tell you if your magnesium stores are adequate. Serum levels just tell you you're not going to die.

I'm not sure I buy the depleted nutrients in the soil argument that the alternative health community puts out there. My magnesium levels were normal and I wasn't supplementing. I just try to eat magnesium rich foods on a daily basis. Bananas, avocados, almonds, dark leafy greens, black beans, etc. I would look up magnesium rich foods and add the ones you fancy to your diet. All you need is around 400 mg.

Also, my mag levels were in the normal range even though I was dealing with anxiety. It was my Vitamin D that was low, so I started feeling better after a few months of supplementing with that.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I attended a seminar several years ago on supplements and the takeaway on magnesium was that it was only helpful if you were deficient. Otherwise, there were no scientifically proven benefits.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone,I did an experiment and took mag for two days and I'm back to the same foggy head,less sleep, anxious feels so I think I'll just cut it out and eat mag rich foods! @Azdak,thanks for the reminder on vitamin D my last test I was just on the cusp of being low so my doctor did prescribe some,again thanks for all the replies ❤️