Why doesn't my calorie count change with strength training?

Hello everyone, first off, I'm sorry if this is reserved for another thread, but I figured this was the best area to post my question. Yes, I'm new to myfitnesspal for calorie, protein, fats, and carb counter. It works just fine whenever I add my jogging session, but it doesn't take into account my strength training?

I mostly do it after my jogging session, but I'm going to try doing it before going jogging to see which I prefer. I do all of this before going to work, every morning as it's the only time I can manage exercise with my schedule.

Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    The strength entries are just meant to track weight, sets and reps. To add calories burned, add the cardiovascular entry titled "strength training". Be aware that it doesn't add a lot of calories because strength training doesn't burn many.
  • puffbrat wrote: »
    The strength entries are just meant to track weight, sets and reps. To add calories burned, add the cardiovascular entry titled "strength training". Be aware that it doesn't add a lot of calories because strength training doesn't burn many.

Thanks, I learn something new everyday! Yeah, I knew it doesn't burn as much calories as jogging for 2 miles, but I was just curious as I like to preserve as much muscle whenever I cut, and now I'm thinking of bulking on high protein.

My problem is meeting my goals, and it's honestly a lot of calories to get to so I'm drinking, eating, and loving both protein drinks and bars which make me feel preserved after a workout. Also, whenever I think og getting "bulk", I'm always afraid of "getting fat" again rather than "building muscle."

I know how to cut, but bulking is entirely different for me.

This was me back in 2014 (far left picture) compared to today. Btw, sorry the quality is blurry. I'm new to selfie things lol. I started out every single morning before going to work at 178lb's, 28% body fat, and 30bmi, now I'm 122.3lb's, 10.6% body fat, and 18bmi. My top and mid-abs wanna show, just started applying reverse crunches to try and target (even though some speculate there's no such thing) my lower abs, wasn't flexing or anything but my pectorals look much better than they did last year, and easily my biceps and triceps have grown tremendously.

I'm happy either way, but I'm striving for a good chest, six pack abs, and nice biceps/triceps growth.
  • StaciMarie2020
    StaciMarie2020 Posts: 68 Member
    The way it was explained to me:

During cardio you are moving multiple major muscle groups for an extended period of time. Calories burned is significant compared to what you burn just ambling thru your day.

During strength training you are moving 1 or 2 muscle groups at a time, in a slower and more controlled fashion. This does not burn significantly more than moving about your day.