Is anyone interested in a weight loss competition?

Options
threewins
threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
edited September 2019 in Motivation and Support
I was thinking of starting one in the Challenges forum. It's a pretty simple idea, you post your starting weight, then regular updates, ideally weekly. I will award medals as you transition from one percentage weight loss/duration combination to another. I'll post the medals details at the start of the competition. People can start at varying dates.

I'm not sure if this would be successful here, or not. If you're interested, please reply here.

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I don't think those sorts of events are good for long-term psychology for sustainable weight loss. They tempt people to do unsafe gimmicky tricks with their food choices and lose at rates that will cause saggy skin. If you need the competitive aspect to help motivate you, maybe get a group together to lose at a targeted rate to a targeted amount, eg: 10 lbs in 5 weeks but no more than 15 lbs in 5 weeks. Or do it on a % of total weight basis--1-1.5% of total body weight in 5 weeks, no more no less. That way its constrained to be within a loss-rate known to be safe for most people, and you can have multiple winners.

PS: this approach is more likely to be rewarding behaviors that will be helpful to people long term and is an exhibition of how well people not only can control their intake and exercise, but also their ability to 'listen to their body' by not going to extremes. To my mind, hitting a narrow weight target zone is a harder task and better exhibition of self-control than just losing as much as possible in the shortest time.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi, I belong to a great weight loss group that you are welcome to join. You can join towards the end of this month to begin on the 1st of October. We provide support and encouragement to each other.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114605-fat-2-fit-weight-loss-challenge-and-support-group
  • littlered1981
    littlered1981 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just went to this page but can't see the registration link anywhere??
  • Pamela_Sue
    Options
    From the info, it appears that the registration link is only open during the last few days of the month, so I would check back in a few days.

They also usually will have an announcement in the general community message boards

Or, I would contact a group moderator. Suggest @Navydaddjtc

Hope this helps.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Just went to this page but can't see the registration link anywhere??

I just clicked the link and there is a join button.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Options
    @LyndaBSS Thanks Lynda! Is it that green button to the right of the title? Mine says 'leave group', so I assume it would say 'join group' but just checking for future reference.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    If it says "leave group", you're already a member. 😉

Yeah, same button.