Protein suggestions for Allergies

Options
Hi! I’m consistently low on protein but having difficulty finding things I can eat with all of the allergies & food sensitivities. I’m allergic to fish & most seafood, eggs, nuts & have to watch dairy. Beans are okay in small quantities. Getting tired of chicken...

Replies

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Novel proteins are usually well tolerated. Venison, ground bison, lamb. Ground turkey and ground pork mixed make great meatballs, loaf, etc.
    Pea protein powder, lots of the vegan ones are, if it doesn’t trigger your legume stuff.
    Edamame and tofu are often tolerated better than the highly processed fake meat products.
    Goat cheese, feta (sheep), and goat yogurt tend to be ok if the dairy issue comes from the A1C marker in American cow products.
    Roasted green peas, fava beans, and chickpeas are all surfacing on store shelves.
    Try instapot cooked beans, it makes them easier to digest.
    Spinach and broccoli are both surprisingly high in protein.
    As in quinoa.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 505 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Lamb and duck are delicious too, adding to the other great meat suggestions. I can not eat nuts but all the seed family are great sources of protein and provide crunch, I substitute pumpkin seeds and pine nuts (they are a seed) for almonds in most recipes. Sesame seeds and sunflower seeds are great too. I bought a delicious sunflower seed butter the other day that I eat with an apple or celery. Also goat and sheep cheeses are now widely available in so many similar textures and flavors if you are craving the flavor of a cow cheese for tacos etc. I also do use protein powders to help me meet my protein goals.
  • Anabirgite
    Options
    Duck eggs are now also becoming more widely available. My girlfriend buys and uses them as she is allergic to eggs,
  • Anabirgite
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I also just added chia seeds and flax seeds to my oatmeal for a wonderful protein boost with a scoop of protein powder. Flax eggs are a popular egg free baking alternative you probably already know about being you are egg free, but I thought I would just mention. Also nutritional yeast, great addition to salads, oatmeal, soups etc...
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I hope you have managed to have good allergy testing, the area is such a mine field, its impossible to identify problematic foods from your food lists because some can take a short time to produce your reaction others much longer. I'm wondering because your problem foods seem to orientate round protein, could you possibly be histamine intolerant. its such a difficult thing to tie down, because meats are usually hung before sale and then prepared into meals. Fish can be similarly problematic.

I've not been able to get hold of the dao histaminase product I used to use though I still use digestive enzymes to overcome many of my issues. All the very best, dietary issues are a real pain.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    I never get tired of chicken because I have a ridiculous amount of spices and an interest in cuisines from different ethnicities.

However, you didn't mention beef and pork, which are the common alternatives to chicken (?)
  • kanukook
    kanukook Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions! I now have a bunch of alternatives to investigate and I am very intrigued by the histamine suggestion. I’ll have to follow up on that one.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you have to be careful with dairy. If this means you’re lactose intolerant, soy based protein powders or whey isolates are protein dense and no or very low lactose options as well. MyProtein is my favored brand for being inexpensive, has what it says on its labels, and the flavors other than Rocky Road are good.