Occult Ganglion Cyst

Options
Disclaimer: I am not asking for medical advice. I have been to see an orthopedist, so please don’t dismiss this and tell me to see a doctor. I will also follow whatever advice he gives once the diagnosis is confirmed, so please don’t say mind your doctor. Not that all that isn’t good advice, but I’m not asking for advice.
I cannot extend my wrist through full range of motion or do any extension with weight bearing without it hurting. The doctor thinks it’s an occult ganglion cyst, but since no bump is visible I am having an MRI to confirm or deny this.
Has anyone else ever had a dorsal wrist ganglion cyst removed, and if so how long was it before you were able to do say pushups or yoga (or any weight bearing) after it was removed?
Again, I plan to mind whatever the doctor says. Just curious what others have experienced from this.
TIA!

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I just had to have one on my wrist drained. It wasn't an "occult" cyst, there was a visible bump, so the doc could confirm what it was without an MRI. It was pressing on a tendon and limiting the movements of my fingers. We tried just draining it, but, a few weeks later, it's coming back.

I'll probably have to have it removed as a more permanent solution. From what I've read about it, the general consensus is about 2 weeks before it is fully healed after the surgery.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My son has a vascular ganglion cyst on his wrist. He had it removed and it has returned. I don't know if the two are related or not.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I had one removed from my ankle and I was good to go in around 4 days.

But it kinda depends.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My son had one removed from his ankle. Walking a little the next day, recovered in 2 weeks.
  • kiddycat73
    kiddycat73 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I had one removed in 1999, simple surgery, no complications, back to normal in about 3 weeks, maybe a month. It came back (which they warn you about) about 10 years later. I ignored it for over 3 years. By the time I saw a surgeon, it had invaded the tendon sheath and was causing serious damage. I had that one removed in 2014. Recovery was longer and the scar is bigger, but after 3 months of physical therapy I regained 100% strength and mobility. Total recovery was about 4 months all together.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My daughter had a large one removed from her wrist and was in a cast for a few weeks. I do know she was frustrated by the surgery, I don’t think it completely solved the problem.

I apparently have a small one in my wrist. Like you, my ortho thinks it’s a cyst even though there’s no bump. And he didnt recommend any surgical intervention

Mine comes and goes...when it flares up I wear a splint until it feels better (immobilization seems to allow it to drain and reduce inflammation). It’ll sometimes be years before it comes back.

Good luck getting it sorted out!
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I had a visible one, a coworker smacked I with a PDR and busted it. No surgery required, but I jumped at loud noises for a few weeks, thought I would get hit with a book again. haha
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone.