What do you do on days you're starving?

Options
hmhill17
hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
edited September 2019 in Motivation and Support
For some reason, I've been starving all day. In the past when this happened, it usually meant there was something in particular I really wanted, but I didn't necessarily know what. I'm attempting to just ignore it and go about my day. Anyone have any tips or tricks they use when this happens? Trying to trick my body by eating something else never works even if I know what I'm actually craving.

Replies

• fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    Drink lots of water, paint my nails, have a bath. Do anything that means I can't immediately eat. By the time I'm done the feeling has usually passed.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    When I was doing my big cut from 300-230 I pretty much ate the same things at the same times every day with meal timing geared towards later in the afternoon/evening because I find it easier to deal with hunger in the mornings. It was boring but it worked. I just remind myself that "food is fuel, not therapy"
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    a few things I do, take a nap if I can....drink a couple glasses of water....chew ice cubes..chew gum....eat carrots, cucumbers, piece of fruit..... Since upping my carbs , I have found being extremely hungry much LESS of an issue.
  • heyjude0225
    heyjude0225 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Eat - which is why I now have 40lbs to lose...

Just getting back on track but trying to use water in replacement of food but not doing so well today.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I usually hit the iron or the treadmill. As soon I start working out my hunger subsides.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I eat up to maintenance calories on those days.

This for me too. This process is not meant to be miserable.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I sip a nice warm cup of chicken broth or vegetable broth. The salt might make me have a little water weight but the calories still fit.
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Drink water, drink hot tea - try to stay outdoors & away from food. Try not to *kitten* too much.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If it is true hunger especially at night and I won't be able to sleep I will have something high in protein, if it's during the day I might hold off.. distract myself or have a coffee. Even if I go over I will modify the rest of my week to accommodate.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Like another poster said, I analyze why I'm so hungry. If I'm legitimately hungry, I eat. Something like a tablespoon of PB2 on a 100 calorie English muffin. If it's close to a meal, or it's the evening, I'll make a cup of hot tea and maybe eat an orange.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Before giving in to cravings for sweets (or whatever), I usually make myself an egg and toast with some hot sauce and maybe steam some broccoli. That fills me up enough that if I do give in to cravings later it won't be as severe.
  • Sanriohippie
    Sanriohippie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I pile on a shirt ton of forking vegetables and berries.
    I make sure to not have any unsavory snacks too.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    I tell myself I’m not starving. My life isn’t a risk. Am I too uncomfortable to wait for the next planned meal or snack?

I found that bouts of hunger decreased as I learned to work my plan better. When I was starting out I carried a lot of apples around.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am assuming it's still part of the fact that I was up almost 36 hours straight (1.5 hour nap in the middle max) Sunday to Monday. My biggest fear was that if I ate anything, I'd keep eating because that's what used to happen. Would have gone way past maintenance calories I'm sure.

Brushing my teeth staved it off for a bit. I drink so much water on any given day that I've never noticed more water making me less hungry.

I did let myself eat a little more than usually yesterday, though I was still under my goal plus exercise calories.
  • slimdownt
    slimdownt Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I do plate pushes!!
  • Avand17
    Avand17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I find something to keep me busy, especially if it requires two hands and not sitting. Helps to keep my mind off the hunger.
  • bcallieoop
    bcallieoop Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Brush my teeth. :smiley: That does help. However, I keep a can of low sodium, low fat chicken noodle soup in my desk and I use it freely (it still has a fair amount of sodium, but the benefits outweigh the negatives). The warm broth and the noodles help satisfy a lot of food cravings.