I need advice

Options
Where to begin...I'd like to start by saying that I have been happily maintaining my weight for a long time. For the past few months I have been in a custody battle which I finally won. It has taken everything out of me emotinally physically and mentally. The fear, anxiety, and all of the scary emotions cause my cortisol level to rise for a long period of time, which unfortunately caused my metabolism And digestive system to slow down. This was about two months ago. I stopped going to the gym because I put too much stress on my body, to the point where i was havubg panick attacks. I also stopped watching my calories. I became so anxiety ridden i just had nothing in me anymore. everything was finalized 2 weeks ago. I have been absolutely exhausted. As much as I want to start the gym and tracking on MFP it's so hard for me. I felt right after everything I would be okay ready to begin again, but that's not the case. I'm so tired start very little at a time because my adrenal glands are so fatigued from the stress but I need to take it easy. I look in the mirror I don't even recognize myself because of what the situation has done to me. I used to be so fit looking and now I don't look that way at all. And it hurts me. I'm embarrassed. I'm looking for strength to get me back to where I was before. Or guidance, something where it will help me get through this time and come the best person I can possibly be. Turning this negative situation into a positive one. I just wanted to put myself back now please help me.

Replies

• ro175
    ro175 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Take some time out for you, focus on yourself for a while and give yourself some TLC and treat yourself gently. One step at a time
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Be kind to yourself. You deserve a break. 💟
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    have you weighed? Might not be as bad as you think. It is time to take care of you, baby steps. I am an emotional eater and I know cortisol does make a difference. Take Care Of You.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Take the same approach that people with injuries and handicaps and the morbidly obese do - start with small "baby steps" and increase very slowly, and accept that things won't always go perfectly. This goes for exercise as well as diet.

I would second this. Coming back from injury myself after a fairly bad car accident. 2nd week back in the gym with a long way to go after 3 months away. Moving up very slowly and in no hurry. I know the process still works. Always will.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    No advice than what's already here, but sending you virtual hugs.
  • zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the positive thoughts. The other thing that bothers me is that I'm going back to the gym, back to my routine, back to everything I did before looking so different. I feel so ashamed and embarrassed of how I look currently. I was in Tip-Top shape. Everyone would come over and question me about different moves, techniques, tricks and any help I can possibly give them in the gym. And now I feel fat and ugly. ( not that fat is ugly but it's just not me). Is there any advice that any of you have where you can help me with my mindset
  • zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hello there 👋🏼 thank you for opening up and sharing your feelings with us. I’m very sorry for the hardships you have gone through. After everything you’ve encountered, it certainly has taken a toll on your well being. This is without a doubt discouraging. But, don’t let this be your downfall. You are at a critical point in your lifetime. Many have gone through tramautic experiences and have overcome their inner battles to succeed in life. Sadly, however, others have given up and lost. It is my belief along with all of us here that you CAN and you WILL succeed. Consider this difficult time the highlight of your fitness journey: The moment when you were able to rise up and overcome seemingly impossible obstacles. This experience will make you a stronger person overall, both physically and emotionally. You’ll be able to look back and smile, knowing that you didn’t give up and that you made it to the top. Focus on the satisfaction you will get from holding on to that hope, the hope of becoming something greater.

That being said, a few months of being sidetracked is not the worst of things. Your body did not completely lose all of your prior muscle and strength gains that you worked so hard to achieve. And lets not forget about muscle memory, your body’s ability to work its way right back to where you once were. Yes, the first visits to the gym will be the most difficult, but worth every second.

I remember when i had a trucking accident and was unable to go to the gym for a few months. It was very discouraging. I lost a lot of size but i never gave up. When i came back i found that i was soon lifting what i previously could, and within a matter of some weeks i was right back where i originally was before my accident. In no way am i saying that i understand what you are going through or that I’ve felt the same way. NO. I just thought i would share my experience with you to help you see that you can defeat this monster of uncertainty, this beast of doubt that we sometimes face in life. Remember: You WILL win this battle. Let’s do this! 🙌🏻💪🏼

Thank you so much!! This message was amazing! I'm going to read it everyday until I dont have to anymore. Thank you so much!!
  • cerillo_encendido
    Options
    @zfitgal You are very welcome friend!! 👍🏼 I’m happy that you are going to do your best!! How exciting!
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need time to decompress after such a trying experience. Maybe that means a vacation if you can afford it or just put all the fitness and diet in the background for a short while and invest in quality time with your daughter and other family and when ready get back on track. Don't force yourself if things aren't right. Wishing you the best.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Another vote for baby steps. If you're not ready to go back to the gym now, how about walking outside in nature? Any state parks near you? I struggle with depression and anxiety, and being active in nature works better than antidepressants for me.

That said, perhaps some therapy and medication would be useful short term. I have a prescription for Xanax which I almost never use (like maybe once a year) but I am reassured just knowing it is available.

thumb_sending-virtual-hug-loading-hug-sent-canhascheezeurger-com-23134409.png
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Good Luck. Just getting back in the gym is a positive thing to do and going in for the first time is the hardest step of all, so you've beaten that obstacle. As an aside, most people in the gym probably don't even notice any difference; quite a few of us concentrate on ourselves and not what anyone else can do / looks like.
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Sounds like even though everything is now settled in your battles (to which I highly applaud your struggles) that you are still is a state of grieving so to speak. We go through phases as we deal with high stress. You are not quite recovered from all your stress. The worry is gone, the disbelief is gone, Bu that inner anger is still there. Start simple. A walk with the kids, a session of park play, something positive that says "Look what I did" Positive thinking over the success you have had. Then start logging foods again. Nothing more, just log the foods you are eating so you can see the patterns of your eating again. just 2 weeks and you can see the patterns, the weaknesses, the times and places you need to change. You CAN do this. You are worth it. You are worthy. One day at a time makes all the difference in the world. Don;t look to the end result. Just look towards tomorrow and what you can make better than today.