Trainers with arch support

Options
Hi All,

I've been struggling with plantar fasciitis for a couple of weeks and been told that arch support will help. I want to get back into exercising carefully so I don't set it off again so wondered if anyone could recommend trainers or running shoes that have arch support please.

I'm in the UK so may not be able to get some US brands.

Thank you!

Replies

• Anthem76
    Anthem76 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You may want to invest in some custom orthotic insoles. My health insurance overs them because I have flat feet, but I would purchase them even if I had to pay out of pocket. Taken care of, they will outlast your shoes for many years and using them, you can transform any shoe into a perfect one. My current prescription insoles are six years old, have thousands of miles on them and look new.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Have you been to a running store to be fitted for shoes since you started having trouble? Here in the US my Fleet Feet location can do a computer analysis to determine what’s right for you based on foot shape, size and gait. I know my location had inserts in stock as well but they weren’t recommended for my foot shape. There are different inserts available in stores and on the internet but you may find that being fitted and describing the pain you are having to the staff will result in a better (and possibly cheaper) solution. The pain I was having was hip pain, and new shoes made a world of difference.
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    ThatJuJitsuWoman Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have high arches and need to have support under them. My last 3 pairs of running shoes have been from Skechers and they’re the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever had.
    I have to go to the store and usually try on every pair in my price range, but I always find some that feel good.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    inserts might be the best option as they can be moved from shoe to shoe. superfeet are popular here.
    or the podiatrist might be able to prescribe some

otherwise, just try different shoes. i actually passed on hoka because i didn't like all the support.
    running stores, local ones, are usually very good at fitting a person to the right shoe
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think you have New Balance in the UK. When I went there, they had this whole big gizmo that measured not only individual feet but weight distribution and arches, and then I got a couple recommendations. It felt almost medical! :D
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Hi All,

I've been struggling with plantar fasciitis for a couple of weeks and been told that arch support will help. I want to get back into exercising carefully so I don't set it off again so wondered if anyone could recommend trainers or running shoes that have arch support please.

I'm in the UK so may not be able to get some US brands.

Thank you!

Long time plantar fasciitis sufferer here
    2 things -
    1. freeze a golf ball and roll your foot on it - it hurts in the best way
    2. Check out the brand yoursole: https://yoursole.co.uk/
    They are insoles that you heat in the oven and then put in your shoe and stand over them for a few minutes and they mold exactly to your foot. Like custom insoles but they cost far less...about 25 USD if I remember right so probably around 20 quid
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    Thanks everyone, some really useful suggestions here. I’m a bit self conscious about going into any sports store at the moment due to being so big but I think I might have to get over that to be able to fix it. It is improving slowly but I upped my steps yesterday and this morning I’m in pain again.

I have a massage ball and I’ve been using ice packs on it, which help. Plus also having a support that goes around my foot and has a lump under the arch. That helped but I can’t wear it inside any of my trainers.

Thanks again, I’m going to look into everything suggested. So desperate to get back into upping my steps again. Frustrating that it’s happened because I’m overweight and have increased my walking suddenly. How else am I going to get the weight off? Aaarrrggghhh!

Thank you! ☺️
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, some really useful suggestions here. I’m a bit self conscious about going into any sports store at the moment due to being so big but I think I might have to get over that to be able to fix it. It is improving slowly but I upped my steps yesterday and this morning I’m in pain again.

I have a massage ball and I’ve been using ice packs on it, which help. Plus also having a support that goes around my foot and has a lump under the arch. That helped but I can’t wear it inside any of my trainers.

Thanks again, I’m going to look into everything suggested. So desperate to get back into upping my steps again. Frustrating that it’s happened because I’m overweight and have increased my walking suddenly. How else am I going to get the weight off? Aaarrrggghhh!

Thank you! ☺️

If you’re really self conscious about it you might call a local running store to find out what their non-peak hours are so that you can plan your visit at a slower time for the store. But try not to stress about it. Runners come in all sizes. I started c25k because I was inspired by the tenacity of a woman more than double my weight. I had been using my age as an excuse and suddenly realized that I hadn’t even tried. I think many people have a mental image of athletes being slim and tall. But athletes truly come in all sizes. There are a variety of sizes at my running group including the coaches. Many of your local running store employees are very knowledgeable and want to help you have a better experience. I was so frustrated with my hip pain and was really it really helped. Another friend is a walker instead of a runner and they helped her pain go away too. Most reputable stores also have a good return policy as well. So ask questions so that you’ll know what to do if you aren’t happy with the fit a few days later.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options

Thank you! ☺️

Don't be intimidated. The people at the running stores are some of the nicest people you will meet.
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think I’ll bite the bullet and go down on a Monday morning in the hope it’s quiet! It’s totally my issue and not related to anything the staff of such a store have ever tried to do, so I need to woman up 😂

Really appreciate all the help, thank you 😊
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options

Thank you! ☺️

I've used that support. My physio guy would flop my foot around saying wow your joints are so loose and part of my issue was my heel would slip in and out of the joint. That support was great.

Make sure to wear it when you get fitted for new shoes

I was told her Saucony or Asics. I find Saucony are better they hold my foot in nicely. I'd assume you have those brands over there they are fairly common.

Also PF I think mostly is from the increase in activity. I am not really overweight but I would punish my feet by running 5 km after not running for a year. I've learned to add a warm up and gradually work up to longer runs. But I still wake up with sore feet.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I wear support running shoes (due to htpermobility) but with the pf it was moving to a more cushioned model that was the game changer. I do have quite a high mileage though.

My favourites are asics gel kayano, nicely support the ankle and far more cushioned than the gt1000/2000. They are quite a bit more expensive than the less cushioned models but so worth it for me.
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    Thank you! I can't believe how many people are having the same issue.

I've done a few days of regular icing, wearing the support and keeping my steps really low. Yesterday and today I've upped them a little and I'm feeling it again so maybe I'll book in to see a physio and see if they can give me some help.

I've had knee surgery on the same leg so walking off centre to try to stop the heel pain is giving me issues with the knee. I can't win!

Really appreciate all the replies and suggestions though thank you! 😊