Nutritionist

Options
Would you see a Nutritionist who is obese? Not just simply overweight, but obese?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    No.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    No.
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    For me, that would kind of depend. Are they new? They may have gotten into that field and studied it because they wanted to better themselves too. I mean, maybe they were much heavier and already lost a bunch of weight. But that's just my opinion. :)

She is not new, been a nutritionist for a long time.
  • tammycolbert
    Options
    So I am a type 2 diabetic who on my own has lost 33lbs just by cutting out "white" carbs ie..pasta, bread, potatoes rice. My endocrinologist wanted me to see the diabetic nutritionist she may even be more then that because she has a lot of letter after her name. Anyway, I go yesterday and was kind of stunned to see she was obese working in a diabetes office where they promote healthy weight and such. Now I am not saying she doesn't know her stuff because of her weight, she probably does but I was not impressed with her at all. She wants me to eat 45 carbs per meal and 15 carbs per snack a day. That is 60 carbs a day and I just feel like that is an awful lot to eat, especially for a diabetic. She also wants me to eat 1300 calories a day, I am basically right now at around 1100 because of my medication for diabetes I am not hungry at all. It is now 11:30am here and I just ate something and I have been up since 5am. I know I have to eat more if I want to lose. I just wanted to make sure I am not alone in this. Thank you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I would see a Registered Dietitian rather than a nutritionist, and not if they were obese.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Would you see a financial adviser in bankruptcy?

I'd ask your endo for a referral to an RD.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    For me, that would kind of depend. Are they new? They may have gotten into that field and studied it because they wanted to better themselves too. I mean, maybe they were much heavier and already lost a bunch of weight. But that's just my opinion. :)

They are not new, been a nutritionist for a long time.

The thing is, anybody can call themselves a nutritionist in the US, it isn't a controlled title. And there is a lot of "alternative health" nutrition info out there that simply isn't true, especially about weight management. So my concern would be that she has her mind set on an "alternative" view of health and nutrition that is already not working for her.

Having said that, it depends on why you would be looking for a nutritionist in the first place. While nutrition and weight loss are linked, they aren't the same thing. If you are looking for help in designing a nutritionally complete vegan diet, or managing your blood sugar on your doctor's recommendation, she could be quite well versed in that without having a handle on calorie control.

But I don't think I would seek help in getting to a healthy weight from someone who is obese, just like I wouldn't expect a scrawny person who doesn't lift to help me be a power lifter or someone who can't speak Spanish themselves to teach me the language.

Edited to add: Now I see your follow post that she seems to have a degree. Maybe you should voice your concerns to your doctor? Do you know why your doctor felt you needed more guidance
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Would you see a financial adviser in bankruptcy?

I'd ask your endo for a referral to an RD.

This is kinda how I feel about "therapy" - you know every one of them has some kind of issues.
    So I am a type 2 diabetic who on my own has lost 33lbs just by cutting out "white" carbs ie..pasta, bread, potatoes rice. My endocrinologist wanted me to see the diabetic nutritionist she may even be more then that because she has a lot of letter after her name. Anyway, I go yesterday and was kind of stunned to see she was obese working in a diabetes office where they promote healthy weight and such. Now I am not saying she doesn't know her stuff because of her weight, she probably does but I was not impressed with her at all. She wants me to eat 45 carbs per meal and 15 carbs per snack a day. That is 60 carbs a day and I just feel like that is an awful lot to eat, especially for a diabetic. She also wants me to eat 1300 calories a day, I am basically right now at around 1100 because of my medication for diabetes I am not hungry at all. It is now 11:30am here and I just ate something and I have been up since 5am. I know I have to eat more if I want to lose. I just wanted to make sure I am not alone in this. Thank you.

That sounds more like about 150-200g carbs per day. (45 X 3 = 135) That's about what I eat in maintenance, on 1700 per day.

Maybe tell your doctor your concerns with her weight and recommendations.

I think you could go to the Diabetes.org website and get meal plans, too.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Find a medical professional that's a good fit for you. I try to live in a judgment free zone when it comes to looks and outward appearances and she may be struggling with medical conditions like PCOS and others. Bottomline, you have to have confidence in the person treating you.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options

I am going to go at this from two different angles.
    1. The diet she has suggested she is using the Old and I mean old way of eating. If she is stating 45 carbs per meal that is 135 carbs per day if you are eating 3 meals a day. And if you are eating snacks twice a day that is another 30 carbs. So in total that is 165 carbs per day or 11 servings of carbs.
    2. I too am a type 2 diabetic, my endocrinologist, is well aware that I am on a Low carb diet. Because that is what I have found really supports low blood sugar numbers. (plus weight loss for me)
    3. I went to see a Dietician before I started on the Low carb lifestyle, as I knew I needed to way cut down on carbs, and the type of carbs. Agree not good or bad. But as a diabetic white flour, pasta, rice do impact blood sugar. As do processed foods. And yes, Dietician also suggested to get those out of my diet.
    4. The Old Diabetic diets for Carbs range anywhere between 8 and 12 servings of carbs as a rule.
    5. 165 grams of carbs is 660 calories. I keep mine at 50 or less Monday through Friday, and on weekends allow a bit more at 60. Still that keeps total carb calories at 200 to 240 and that totally works for me.

About her being Obese, if she knew her stuff inside out, I might be able to get past that. But by blatting out info that is so old, and not willing to listen to your needs, desires to do something different. No, and ask your Endocrinologist for a referral to a Dietician. Also these days many Health plans will cover this as well.
    Good Luck.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

So... There's a lot to unpack here.

But she probably wants you to eat an *accurate* 1300. Are you weighing your 1100 worth of food and drink? You'd be dropping weight very very quickly at your status if you actually were eating that few calories a day.

Second. That's not a lot of carbs per day, even when you do the math correctly. My dietitian recommends 1-1.5 gm of carbs per pound of body weight. And I'm also diabetic.

How about you try her recommendations instead of just dismissing her because she's obese?
  • tammycolbert
    Options

But she probably wants you to eat an *accurate* 1300. Are you weighing your 1100 worth of food and drink? You'd be dropping weight very very quickly at your status if you actually were eating that few calories a day.

Second. That's not a lot of carbs per day, even when you do the math correctly. My dietitian recommends 1-1.5 gm of carbs per pound of body weight. And I'm also diabetic.

How about you try her recommendations instead of just dismissing her because she's obese?

With eating my 1100 calories or less I was dropping weight quickly. I told her I stopped losing and SHE said NOT me that I have to eat more calories in order to lose weight. OK your the expert I guess I will go with it.

I am NOT dismissing her recommendations because of her weight, but I don't feel she is giving me the correct information.
  • tammycolbert
    Options

With all due respect, if you believe these two statements, you don't understand weight loss and nutrition enough to be making judgments about someone else's knowledge of the subject.

With eating my 1100 calories or less I was dropping weight quickly. I told her I stopped losing and SHE said NOT me that I have to eat more calories in order to lose weight. OK your the expert I guess I will go with it.

There's no such thing as eating too little to be able to lose weight.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

I am NOT dismissing her recommendations because of her weight, but I don't feel she is giving me the correct information.

Were you weighing all of your food?

Because there's no way you couldn't be losing at 1100 calories.