Invisalign and Maintaining weight

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'm looking for help on foods I can eat to maintain weight. I have been maintaining for almost a year, no problem on 1900 calories. But I just started Invisalign treatment and my dentist wants me to keep the trays in for 23.5 hours a day! :o So that's 30 minutes total to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. I am used to eating 3x a day with 2 snacks. Plus 4 cups of coffee daily. Yesterday I undershot my calorie goal by 300...I ate 2x today already and only can eat dinner. I have 1000 calories left over. More if you factor in my exercising. I've decreased my cardio and am only focusing on strength training now.

I just wanted to see if anyone may have used Invisalign before and have similar issues or tips. I'm definitely not wanting to lose anymore weight, but I don't want to fill all my calories with junk food.

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited September 2019
    I've had the works when it comes to orthodontics. Never had invisalign specifically, but did have headgear and retainers that I had to leave in all the time except when I was eating. Usually you just don't want to leave them off for more than 30 minutes at a time, so just eat, brush, and put them back in. Teeth shift and it's just not very fun trying to get them back in if you leave them off too long.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    I have Invisalign. You'll be fine just removing them for eating even if you go over the 30 minutes, I was told 22 hours and have worn them less some days. Definitely make sure to remove when drinking coffee! You'll want to brush them especially if you eat something strong. They've only interfered with my eating less in a good way, after dinner I brush my teeth and liners and it's not worth it to take them out again! One thing I'd recommend is not eating hard stuff the day after starting a new tray if you're sore. I had raw carrots once and thought my teeth were going to fall out!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    I'm no dentist but I would expect as long as you put them right back in after eating there's not reason you couldn't eat normally. I'd wager they suggest 23.5 hours to make sure you take it seriously, with the expectation you'll fall short... though purely speculation.
  • RelCanonical
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I'm no dentist but I would expect as long as you put them right back in after eating there's not reason you couldn't eat normally. I'd wager they suggest 23.5 hours to make sure you take it seriously, with the expectation you'll fall short... though purely speculation.

That's my guess too, making sure they don't think it's just an overnight thing.
  • Don’t worry. I had the same issue when I started Invisalign but it wears of quickly. Soon you’ll be taking them out all the time! Just take a toothbrush with you everywhere you go... also I don’t wear mine anything like as long as I should but the results are still great and the dentist says I am doing fine.
  • corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    Thanks for the input! That makes me feel more at ease. Makes a lot of sense because 30 minutes only to eat all day is insane lol
  • RelCanonical
    Thanks for the input! That makes me feel more at ease. Makes a lot of sense because 30 minutes only to eat all day is insane lol

I can't imagine all the gas I'd get from inhaling my food if that were the case, haha.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    It's pretty hard but it's not forever.
    For the record, you shouldn't be brushing more than twice a day.
  • corysmithsmail

I can't imagine all the gas I'd get from inhaling my food if that were the case, haha.

I've definitely had digestion a couple of times.
  • corysmithsmail

Oh really? I've been doing it three times, after each meal.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member

why not? just curious as to why not.

some say you should brush after every meal.

Not hard brushing, but brushing nonetheless.

I brush often as a throwback from when I had the old-skool braces back in the olden days.