Steps versus exercise

Options
I was wondering if the calories burned are doubled if you are logging your steps already and then log an exercise like running outside, treadmill, elliptical....etc

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Actual calories burned are not doubled, however if you are using fitness tracker that syncs with MFP directly and then log the exercise separately you might be accounting for the same activity twice.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I was wondering if the calories burned are doubled if you are logging your steps already and then log an exercise like running outside, treadmill, elliptical....etc

Steps are already included in your activity level.

You want a device/app that syncs to My Fitness Pal; a device that compares your stated activity level against your actual activity and only gives you extra credit when you go above & beyond. A synced device/app will also allow you to check the negative calorie adjustment box. This takes calories away when you don't meet your stated activity level.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I don't use a fitness device, but I believe the answer to your question is yes. The fitness tracker linked to MFP is already giving you extra calories for any exercise that you do with it on. If you also enter the exercise, you are essentially double counting. The only exercises that I would enter if I used a linked fitness tracker would be ones I did without the tracker on or ones that the tracker didn't identity as exercise (although I believe newer trackers have gotten better at figuring this out).