Yoga/ Meditation

Options
cfig1127
cfig1127 Posts: 5 Member
Hello to all,

I am looking to get into a yoga/meditative lifestyle. I am very busy as I have 3 small children and a full time job. I often feel like my thoughts are all over the place! I feel this will center me and keep me focused on the "now". Anyone have any pointers or perhaps a book title that can get me on the path to success?

Thanks!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    "Yoga and the Quest for the True Self" is my favorite book on yoga but I am biased towards Stephen Cope after having taking several workshops with him. He is an extraordinary man. I am sitting here remembering going straight from my first yoga class with him to the bookstore to buy this: https://smile.amazon.com/Yoga-Quest-True-Self-Stephen/dp/055337835X/

I really like his CD Yoga for Emotional Flow. The 1st CD discusses yoga philosophy and modern psychology. The 2nd CD is three guided meditations.

For practicing yoga with postures, I like Rodney Yee DVDs.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    For meditation, I love Yin Yoga.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    There is a good series of podcast meditations called Meditation Minis by Chel Hamilton....just 10 mins. And other good longer podasts for meditation too

(Podcast meditations are great for train rides / lunch breaks etc....)

Most Yoga with Adrienne (very good!) you tube sessions are about 30 mins - part of a bedtime routine perhaps.
  • matthewprymek
    matthewprymek Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I suggest Aleister Crowley's Eight Lectures on Yoga if you want a serious, mostly woo-and-bullsh*t-free review of the principles involved. I can't tolerate even a page of most modern writers on either subject.

Yoga is Sanskrit for 'union', implying the union of subject and object. Thus, the goal is the elimination of the sense of a separate self, which naturally arises as a result of prolonged fixation of the mind on a single subject. In common language, getting 'into the flow'.

The simplest way to begin is to simply set aside time to sit down, and learn to sit perfectly still, and practice concentration on a single thought or perception - initially your posture, then moving on to perhaps the flow of air past the interior of your nostril, a candle, a point on the wall. Anything on which you can practice fixing your attention.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    For meditation, put my phone on airplane mode and stare at a candle while focusing on my breathing for 10 minutes. If my mind starts to drift, I do 10 - 7 second inhale/11 second exhale breaths with my eyes closed and then re-open them.

It's great because I don't have a lot of time, but I can always find 10 minutes. I try to make it the last thing I do on my to do list for the day so I'm not just waiting for the timer to go off so I can get back to being productive.
  • peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    For meditation, I love Yin Yoga.

I did this for the first time the other day, it was a class outdoors in a park, and it was awesome! It is the most relaxing.
  • peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    For yoga, there are two free yoga classes in parks near me on the weekends I like to go to, plus my work has sponsored ones two times a week after work, so I am lucky. I also like Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube a lot. There is also a website called www.doyogawithme.com that has a ton of free videos.

Good luck! I love yoga and meditation, it is about the only thing that brings me peace.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Eight Minute Meditation is an excellent, accessible book.

For yoga, I would strongly recommend a class rather than a video or book if at all possible. Depending on the type of yoga you’re doing, you can injure yourself if you do a pose incorrectly and there’s no one to help you. Many studios offer some free or low cost classes if that’s a concern.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I liked "How to Meditate" by Lawrence LeShan. It's a no-nonsense overview of many meditation methods, from many traditions, in one slim book. It's not an in-depth how-to, but a great aid to finding an approach that resonates with you.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I once tried yoga cause I though it would be 'relaxing and meditative'.

Not sure if I was doing it wrong but it was far closer to 'strenuous and stressful' in my books =)
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    ThatJuJitsuWoman Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I also have 3 small children. I’ve found that it’s virtually impossible to meditate with them around, but I can often encourage them to join me in following yoga with Adriene on YouTube. They particularly like her dog who appears in most of the videos 😄
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Danp wrote: »

Not sure if I was doing it wrong but it was far closer to 'strenuous and stressful' in my books =)

Probably just a less optimal choice of classes. Should you want to give it another try, go for a class pitched as something like "Restorative" or "Gentle" :)

Yin can also be relaxing and meditative...or slow torture, depending on the day :)
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Danp wrote: »

Probably just a less optimal choice of classes. Should you want to give it another try, go for a class pitched as something like "Restorative" or "Gentle" :)

I'll probably give it another try one day. Might go a bit better now that I'm over 100lbs lighter =). Maybe this time I'll enjoy the other positions as much as I enjoyed Corpse Pose =)
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I like the calm app. The subscription is expensive though.
  • cfig1127
    cfig1127 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions!!! I'm going to do some research on some of the titles and make a decision!
  • CaitlinELaird
    CaitlinELaird Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube is a must because she explains everything in a down to earth manner and is a goof. She makes yoga fun instead of a chore.
    Also, the app called Headspace is fantastic for meditation. There is a meditation for just about every aspect of your life where you might want to find peace and calm.
    Both are amazing tools that I use daily!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

For yoga, I would strongly recommend a class rather than a video or book if at all possible. Depending on the type of yoga you’re doing, you can injure yourself if you do a pose incorrectly and there’s no one to help you. Many studios offer some free or low cost classes if that’s a concern.

Have to agree about going to class for the postures (Groupon makes most things affordable). In addition to injury, most of the poses are incredibly nuanced. You make think you look like to person on the screen, but there is likely some minute adjustment that makes all the difference. Have an instructor adjust you during the pose and a lightbulb goes on.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »

Have to agree about going to class for the postures (Groupon makes most things affordable). In addition to injury, most of the poses are incredibly nuanced. You make think you look like to person on the screen, but there is likely some minute adjustment that makes all the difference. Have an instructor adjust you during the pose and a lightbulb goes on.

Yes, I used to have a little back pain in Tree pose, got one adjustment, and it's been fine for 16 years.