Working out??

Options
Hi all! 283 pounds here! Ugh. I have no desire to work out. I like yoga and Wii fit and have decided to start doing both. Any other work outs for starters who have no idea what they are doing?! Also, for someone with severe social anxiety who DOES NOT want to work out in public right away? Videos, YouTube links, etc are all welcome! 20-30 minutes are excellent since I have two kids that are attached to my hip

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options
    Once you get to a place where you are up for dealing with people, consider a YMCA if there is one near you. They are very family friendly - you can drop your kids off for various activities appropriate for whatever age they are, and do your own thing.

YMCAs offer scholarships, if budget is an issue.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi all! 283 pounds here! Ugh. I have no desire to work out. I like yoga and Wii fit and have decided to start doing both. Any other work outs for starters who have no idea what they are doing?! Also, for someone with severe social anxiety who DOES NOT want to work out in public right away? Videos, YouTube links, etc are all welcome! 20-30 minutes are excellent since I have two kids that are attached to my hip

"Workout" is subjective and a lot of people have a very myopic view on what a "workout" is. If you're doing yoga and Wii Fit...that's your "workout"

I like cycling either out on my road bike or hitting the trails on my hardtail...it's a good workout and good exercise, but I rarely think of it in those terms...I'm just out playing and having fun...I just happen to get a good workout done in the process.

I mostly cycle (road or mountain bike), walk my dog, do some hiking, and some rock climbing here and there. It's all good fun and I happen to get in some good exercise and a workout in the process of playing.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender might be you're looking for, too. It's available for free unless you want to buy one of the special programs, and you can filter the videos based on time, what you want to do, what equipment you have, how many calories you want to aim for, etc.
  • StaciMarie2020
    StaciMarie2020 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

If 'working out' is more than you want to think about it, then go more basic. Move more. Work little things into your daily life. Like parking and walking in to the bank, rather than using the drive thru. Parking at the back of the lot (if its safe to do so) instead of looking for close-to-the store parking spots when you are running errands. There are lots of things you can do to 'work out' on your own, but in my opinion its also good to start building active routines into your day to day life.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,277 Member
    Options

If 'working out' is more than you want to think about it, then go more basic. Move more. Work little things into your daily life. Like parking and walking in to the bank, rather than using the drive thru. Parking at the back of the lot (if its safe to do so) instead of looking for close-to-the store parking spots when you are running errands. There are lots of things you can do to 'work out' on your own, but in my opinion its also good to start building active routines into your day to day life.

Many ideas along these lines are discussed in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

While the daily life activities are hard to estimate and add back calories for, they absolutely can contribute to weight management success. It's not unrealistic to think one could add a couple of hundred of calories or more to one's daily expenditure by being very conscious about this sort of thing.
  • Cat_A_89
    Cat_A_89 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree with walking. Its a great way to start. I got a fitbit and made it a goal to walk atleast 10000 steps a day. I wasnt able to do much more then that at my start weight because my knee would hurt alot but Ive since lost 45 pounds and now started working out 6 days a week. I still have a long way to go but I run 2 miles every other day and strength train at home with dumbbells on the other days with 1 day of rest. Have started to see some improvements already and my weightloss is moving along again so double yay.
  • rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If you have anxiety about walking outside, try a walking video. Leslie Sansone is great! You can do 1 mile (about 15 minutes) all the way up to more intense 4-5 miles.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    At my heaviest I quickly noticed that working out was *really* counterproductive for me. I was too heavy to comfortably and effectively exercise so was killing myself 3 or 4 days a week and seeing no progress in my fitness. To make matters worse, I'd walk out of every exercise/gym/workout session absolutely ravenous and would easily smash through way more calories than I'd just burned so my weight was actually gong up.

So, I stopped working out and focused on my calorie intake alone. I lost the first 30kg (65lbs) with absolutely zero working out. Just by eating in a calorie deficit. This got me to a weight where I was able to begin going on walks and start getting fitter, which got me to a stage where I was able to buy a bicycle and start riding to improve my fitness, which got me to a stage where I was fit enough to complete my first (short course) triathlon earlier this year.

But those first 30kg were all achieved in the kitchen alone. And by the time I was ready to start getting fitter and exercising I had gained enough understanding and control of my appetite that I was able to workout without it resulting in a corresponding over-eat.

If you go back you'll notice that I only mentioned my fitness getting better with exercise and didn't mention weight loss. This is because while exercising gave me massive improvements in my health and fitness it did *Nothing* (absolutely Nothing) to increase or speed up my weight loss. My weight loss continued at the exact same rate as when I wasn't exercising. This is because workouts need to be fuelled to be effective. So while I was burning, lets say, 300cal on a bike ride my food intake would also increase by about 300cal to fuel the extra activity so while the riding was doing wonders for my endurance, strength, health and fitness my calorie deficit remained identical and therefore my rate of loss didn't change.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great workouts free on YouTube