Underrated exercises

Options
RealWorldStrengthLLC
RealWorldStrengthLLC Posts: 552 Member
edited September 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
The title says it all...what form of exercise/lift/whatever do you think doesn't get enough love, and why?

Mine would be farmers walks. They are the KING of functionality in my book. What is more useful for life than picking up weight and walking with it? They hit literally every muscle in the body, and build monster traps and forearms.

Curious to see what comes up here.

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I also love farmers walks. I wander round the gym clutching a kettlebell or two. If I get funny looks I tell people I am doing shopping practice.

My current favourites that I don't see getting done much are face pulls and inverted rows. I'm working towards an unassisted pull up, hence my interest in these. I'm also working towards proper push ups, and another thing I don't see getting done is incline push ups. Most people do it from the knees, which I find does not really help with the proper body position and tension throughout.
  • lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Wholeheartedly agree with farmers walk/carry. Feels like it works everything and terrific for improving posture (at least for this ex-slumping computer nerd).
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My trainer is getting me on the turkish getup bandwagon.
  • shbarbor
    shbarbor Posts: 3,340 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I didn't know farmers walk, face pulls, or inverted row but now that I've googled them would like to add them to my routine!
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Jumping rope. Ugh. I hate it. But I can't help but admit it's a simple yet pretty damned good workout..

When I REALLY want to up the ante, I'll throw in 30 seconds of jump rope in between every lifting set. Haven't done this in years though, I'm all strength based on lifts now so I'm working at 80% + RPE on everything except warm ups, I take like 3 minutes between sets now.
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    The title says it all...what form of exercise/lift/whatever do you think doesn't get enough love, and why?

Mine would be farmers walks. They are the KING of functionality in my book. What is more useful for life than picking up weight and walking with it? They hit literally every muscle in the body, and build monster traps and forearms.

Curious to see what comes up here.

Hahaha!!! I had no idea there was a name for this and it was a thing!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'll throw in pallof presses. Not only are they underrated, most people do them wrong (too fast). Another would be various types of dead bugs.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Hula dancing works your thighs like crazy.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Rowing outside, rowing on a rowing machine with correct technique, lap swimming, race walking.

For better or worse, most of these things require a fair amount of resources and/or instruction to do with any proficiency. The only one I've never done is race walking, but I did briefly look into it. I don't swim much for a lot of reasons, but I do enjoy it.
  • janineisaacs
    janineisaacs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Single leg squat, cause u have to be able to balance first of all and then all of your muscles like glutes, quads, abs even back muscles are isolated and working harder to stabilize u.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Sprinting, top speed, for 1 block. Fundamental survival skill, yet almost no one trains it regularly.

Standing cable punch (or resistance band punch) - Should be as popular as the bench press for functional pushing strength. Incredible ab exercise too, and one of the best for transverse plane stability, which most strength programs neglect.

Frontal plane stability is also commonly neglected, and for that, suitcase walking lunges are awesome. Hits the entire kinetic chain from ankle to upper spine, as well as balance in motion, which is rarely trained.

Ok, time for a sprint... :+1:

• Kuchiness
    Kuchiness Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Step aerobics, it's retro but a real sweat breaker and total fun, I recently tried and I'm hooked!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Hula hoop, martial arts, ab wheel (may need some pre-exercises to work up to doing it with good form), stretching generally (not a warm up, but for itself), pull-up/chin-up negatives for those who can't do the whole deal yet.

But what do I know? (I'm not eddicated. ;) )

I've done all of the ones I've mentioned, but don't do all of them (consistently) now. I'd be fitter if I did. ;)
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Overhead triceps extensions. They're just a lot of fun and can help drive your overhead press and bench press numbers up.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of farmer's walks, but I like it! Swimming is awesome- uses all muscles with no hard impact to the body