Protein per ounce boneless skinless chicken breast cooked?

Options
In looking through the database, I have seen everything from 5.8 to 9.1 grams of protein per ounce of cooked plain boneless skinless chicken breast. Would 7g be a safe number to use?

Replies

• MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've been logging chicken breast fillets for a while. It barcodes at 6.8g protein per ounce.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the "verified" green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was user entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)

The entry I use is "Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, roasted" and it has 9 g protein and 47 calories per ounce.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    I've been logging chicken breast fillets for a while. It barcodes at 6.8g protein per ounce.

Since the USDA entry "Chicken, broiler or fryers, breast, skinless, boneless, meat only, raw" has 6.3 g protein per ounce, I suspect your entry is also for raw chicken.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    The one I use has 25g per 3 ounce serving. As you can see, there is a bit of fluctuation (and it is never going to be exact anyways, as cooking methods differ so the exact amount of water lost when cooking differs). I would say around 8g per ounce cooked seems reasonable.