I want to scream....

Options
I have been diligently logging all my diiet. This past week, with a knee injury I have been moving slower, but still hitting my steps 4 out of 6 days. I went over my calories goal by 100 calories one day. This morning on the scale I showed a gain of 3 pounds. Logic tells me this is impossible. I know that to gain a pound I must eat 3500 calories. So technically I would have to have eaten 10500 more calories this week!! Okay, so my head says it’s impossible. Seeing as how my weight loss to date was 4 lbs. I’m now back to only 1 lb. Does anyone else get that I want to scream? I realize it must be water weight. I’m close to going back to not weighing myself at all. Thank you all for letting me rant. Im not quitting. I just needed to put this out there to people who understand these emotions. My family gets a little tired of my battle with weight loss or lack there of...

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself once per week? Maybe start doing it daily so these swings aren't so alarming. Desensitize.

Also, really dial in your food logging.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10621050/how-to-use-the-usda-food-database-mfp-food-database-for-accurate-logging/p1
  • montyeva1114
    montyeva1114 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I’m weighing once a week. I have been calorie counting since I was 15 years old. I do admit there may be some miscalculation so sometimes I will add miscellaneous calories to be sure I’m being accurate. I’m just frustrated.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    It's so frustrating but keep at it eventually you will see results, think about water retention, monthly cycle,that can effect weight
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend weighing daily and tracking it on an app. Then u can see the overall trend. Hang in there!!! I know its tough when your trying so hard. I also had a 3lb gain today( my official weigh in day) but I know last night I had tons of sodium and drank almost no water, so it will be gone in the next 2 days. All the best!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Knee injury. Inflammation. Water.

Agree - anyway: screaming is good, better out than in - as they say...
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I know you say you count calories, but do you own a food scale and count everything you eat and drink that way?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    Okay, so my head says it’s impossible. Seeing as how my weight loss to date was 4 lbs. I’m now back to only 1 lb. Does anyone else get that I want to scream?... Im not quitting.

This is great work. Hang tough.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    wlmxffzup5gm.jpg
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I know that we want to see the numbers on the scale come down but in order to enjoy this journey we need to keep stay calm and patient. If you are doing what works for you then eventually you will get to where you want to be.

The one thing that I have changed about this time around...I have become determined to keep it enjoyable. I am actually having a good time with the process. I have also learned so much about myself. I am much stronger(mentally and emotionally) than I ever gave myself credit for.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Also, what about medication? It can cause water retention. Steroids are well known for doing so and often are given for injuries.