Can't fix the database entry

7sorok
7sorok Posts: 112 Member
I'm creating a recipe and I have to add Ba-Tampte Halt-Sour Pickles. The Database gives me about half a dozen entries that don't show any calories for it. It would be fine if I would use only 1 oz, but I have to use about 6 oz which is 30 cal. I'm trying to correct it but it's not showing up in the database. What do I do?

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I’m here to find out the answer also. I just had a terrible time trying to log my lunch because the entries in mfp database were so wrong. (Like 500 calories off for one piece of chicken).
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    My only thought is to add the pickles via your food diary, so then a new entry will be available in the database (you could always delete from your food diary later). Maybe not the best solution, but it's all I've got.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    I use My Foods as a personal database and only rarely use the public one.

It takes a while to set up but is faster and simpler in the long run. I can customize the item names and don't have to worry about someone else editing without my knowledge since I don't share with the database.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    seska422 wrote: »
    I use My Foods as a personal database and only rarely use the public one.

It takes a while to set up but is faster and simpler in the long run. I can customize the item names and don't have to worry about someone else editing without my knowledge since I don't share with the database.

This is what I need to figure out how to use more effectively... the public options are definitely iffy at times.

• 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    Thanks everybody for a prompt response. I've got it - there's no easy way out
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    edited October 2019
    I’m here to find out the answer also. I just had a terrible time trying to log my lunch because the entries in mfp database were so wrong. (Like 500 calories off for one piece of chicken).

Unfortunately, the "verified" green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

The USDA just changed the platform for their database and it is unfortunately a little more difficult to use. In order to find the entry I wanted for chicken I had to include a bunch of keywords. "chicken, breast, cooked, roasted" gave me https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/?query=chicken, breast, cooked and from that you can see the syntax for the MFP entry to use is "Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, roasted"

(Obviously, if you had dark meat and/or skin, or the chicken was fried or whatever, you would use different search criteria.)

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was user entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)