Stifflegged deadlifts

Options
I was unaware of this exercise until I saw it in a routine. How is it possible that that isn't bad for your back? It's like the safe lifting technique in reverse. You know what I mean? My back hurts just looking at it.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    It isn't if done properly. Hence why good form is important. I love this exercise for my hammies.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Prefer RDL to sldl for hammies.
    I find the sldl far to similar to a standard
    Deadlift apart from initial setup it’s basically the same
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Just like anything with training use proper load management. The body will adapt to proper training relative to you.

I pulled heavy deficit sumo of singles(RPE8), triples(RPE9), and back off volume yesterday as first lift. My dosage was to pull stiff legged sumos for my final and third lift all the way up to RPE9 of 8 reps and back off with 8 reps.

My training is purposeful for powerlifting and prepping for a national meet in a few weeks. I use auto regulation to govern my intensity.

Early in my training blocks I dosed more volume and less intensity. Now I'm lower volume but higher intensity.

My body is adapted well with auto regulation. My back is nearly as fresh today as if I never lifted at all yesterday.

Intelligent training isn't bad for your back. Training without proper stimulus of your ability is.

• Chieflrg
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »

RDLs are just a further removed variation than a SLDL and I often program them early on in a block and remove them for SLDL for a variation.

A SLDL is not basically the same but it is closer to the specificity of a standard DL than. RDL. A SLDL takes nearly all quads out of the lift which is the main drive off the floor. Barbell is also away from center of mass making it more difficult to create the break off floor.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I have had a bad back most my life and do deadlifts. just like lifting anything, if you don't use proper form, you risk injury. Great exercise for hamstrings and overall core.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    I have had a bad back most my life and do deadlifts. just like lifting anything, if you don't use proper form, you risk injury. Great exercise for hamstrings and overall core.

Form is subjective and often blamed when there is no clear cut definition of "good form". If the load is too much, then form will break down which is where there is relation in between the two.

There are plenty of lifters that have seemingly perfect form and get injured and plenty of lifters with bad form and hardly ever experience injuries.

One needs proper load. Too much load built up overtime without adequate recovery in the long term increases injury risk.

:smile:

• wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I’ve used sldl for volume work and honestly couldn’t tell much difference either. Maybe makes the lighter weights a bit more challenging by removing most of the quad from the movement.

For rdls you’ll get a bit of a stretch reflex at the bottom making it not a “dead”lift which is pulled from a dead stop. But still good for the hamstrings depending on what you’re looking for...

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    It's like the safe lifting technique in reverse. You know what I mean?.

I do. The myth of "lift with your legs, not your back" is explained here by the great Mark Rippetoe: https://youtube.com/watch?v=_aqYYhM7CrU

Generally speaking, the risk of deadlifts goes down considerably when there is 1) no bending of the spine, and 2) proper abdominal bracing & valsalva.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    wiigelec wrote: »
    I’ve used sldl for volume work and honestly couldn’t tell much difference either. Maybe makes the lighter weights a bit more challenging by removing most of the quad from the movement.

For rdls you’ll get a bit of a stretch reflex at the bottom making it not a “dead”lift which is pulled from a dead stop. But still good for the hamstrings depending on what you’re looking for...

Pulling from the floor agrivates existing issues these days, while slow controlled RDL’s are more manageable for me I and can keep the load relitivity light
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I love all the "disagree" flags that pop up on weightlifting discussions, and most of them stem from people not assuming the standard disclaimer in the absence of other issues... when it comes to a specific lift, weight, form, and/or program.