Treats

Options
Hi all,
I tend to make better progress when giving myself a treat meal (takeaway) each week. It gives me something to look forward to. I do like to try to take a healthier option within the restraints of a takeaway menu (πŸ˜‚)

Anyway, tomorrow is Chinese πŸ˜‹ what should I be looking for and what should I definitely avoid

Thanks folks
Ad

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Look for things you like to eat. Definitely avoid things you don't like to eat, or that you're allergic to.

"Healthy" is very subjective. My guess is that you may not want a box of steamed veggies if you're viewing this as your treat meal. If you have a specific calorie goal or other goals in mind for this meal, we can suggest foods that might be appropriate.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    If you're going to get Chinese, get your favorite. You'll deal with water retention but as long as you're okay with that, go for it.

Eat it. Enjoy it. Log it. πŸ’™
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    What do you like? I'd say get what you like and don't waste calories eating the things you don't care for. So if you like orange chicken, get that but don't load up on rice, or vice versa.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i would just be aware that chinese is typically higher in sodium - so you may see a weight spike from water weight but don't be worried abou tit
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I can make lower calorie Chinese food myself. So when I get takeout Chinese, I want stuff I don't make, which is the "bad" deep fried stuff.

I will take this opportunity to share this cookbook I've been enjoying: Double Awesome Chinese Food: Irresistible and Totally Achievable Recipes from Our Chinese-American Kitchen

Disclaimer: the eponymous Double Awesome is NOT low calorie, but delicious!
  • adamhartshorne
    adamhartshorne Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. There is a reason treat meal is Monday evening...weigh in is Sunday morning πŸ˜‚ Gives plenty of time to work it back off.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,603 Member
    Options
    I tend to avoid the real calorie bomb dishes where meat is first battered and deep fried, followed by a stir fry with vegetables and sauce. So these are sweet and sour chicken or pork, General Tso chicken, lemon chicken.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. There is a reason treat meal is Monday evening...weigh in is Sunday morning πŸ˜‚ Gives plenty of time to work it back off.

I like this "Monday treat day" thing. Give yourself something good to think about on Mondays lol.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Personally a fan of chicken balls in pineapple sauce with some fried rice... but that's just me. ;)

I have treat meals once a week also, they really make life more tolerable.