Whey / Creatine / other

Options
Hi all,

I'm thinking of introducing some form of protein powder, pre/post workout powders into my diet and fitness.

The only issue is I have absolutely no idea where to start so dont want to waste money or time buying and using the wrong things so I was hoping you wonderful people can point me in the right direction.

I dont have any special dietary requirements to worry about.

I play rugby and current train twice a week, I also do exercising in the house on the days we don't train. I'm finding that the day after a game especially I am extremely fatigued which is mostly why I'm thinking of introducing these into my diet.

I am looking to tone up and lose weight (although I appriciate that if/when I start gaining muscle from training I may not lose as much weight)

not sure if there is any other information that you may need to help....

Thanks!

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    creatine is one of the most researched and supported supplements out there (and cheap which is nice!) - take 5g per day. as for the protein, are you lacking protein? that would be the only reason to take protein supplements.
  • 47before30
    47before30 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    creatine is one of the most researched and supported supplements out there (and cheap which is nice!) - take 5g per day. as for the protein, are you lacking protein? that would be the only reason to take protein supplements.

Thank you - is there a particular brand or type of Creatine I should look for?

and I'm finding that my protein is also below target but I'm trying to incorporate it into my food better where possible.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    47before30 wrote: »

Thank you - is there a particular brand or type of Creatine I should look for?

and I'm finding that my protein is also below target but I'm trying to incorporate it into my food better where possible.

any creatine monohydrate is fine - I like allmax because it is cheap, but tried lots of other brands and never noticed a difference between brands.
  • 47before30
    Options
    wiigelec wrote: »

Thats great thank you!
  • 47before30
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    47before30 wrote: »
    I'm finding that the day after a game especially I am extremely fatigued which is mostly why I'm thinking of introducing these into my diet.

I'm surprised no one said this: Extreme fatigue is unlikely to be fixed by creatine or protein. The most common causes of fatigue are insufficient calories and insufficient rest/sleep. If either of those apply, creatine could actually make things worse, since your work output would increase.

I did consider that I may be because of the reduction in Calories based on what I was eating before - but on game day I make sure to eat extra (all healthy of course) and generally I do get a good night sleep after a game but I will take both points on board before jumping into the world of powders

Thanks you
  • elitesportsdude
    elitesportsdude Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Im not the biggest fan of creatine if your trying to tone up as it holds water weight and you get more of a bloated look to you..As far as protein, i will suggest iso protein over whey as its better suited for toning as it contains less calories, fat and carbs.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Im not the biggest fan of creatine if your trying to tone up as it holds water weight and you get more of a bloated look to you..As far as protein, i will suggest iso protein over whey as its better suited for toning as it contains less calories, fat and carbs.

Creatine cause water retention in the muscle, causing the muscle to appear larger.
    This is not the same as water retention outside of the muscle which is what makes you look bloated.

Also, the amount of fat and carbs in any protein powder will vary from brand to brand. There are whey protein powders with minimal fat and carbs.