Protein numbers

People of the world.. need some help really..
Protein numbers if I weight 140 I need 140 of protein right???
What if I'm trying to bulk and need 4000kcal to gain 140g x 4 is 560kcals so do I divide the 3440 kcal left over the between fats and carbs.. eat more carbs then fats I'm guessing..

Replies

• edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Sticky post at the top “Most Helpful Posts” includes a guide for bulking. Read that.

Also 4000 calories? Are you a pedicab driver? That seems very high for a 140 lb. person.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    If you are eating that many calories in a day then 140g of protein should be dead easy - you don't have to limit yourself to just 140g, it's fine to go over or regard it as a minimum goal.

Where did the 4,000 cals/day goal come from? Real life experience or some calculation?
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Give this a watch. For 140lbs I think you're eating too much.

https://youtu.be/-gpYrlC87M0
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    edickson76 wrote: »
    Sticky post at the top “Most Helpful Posts” includes a guide for bulking. Read that.

Also 4000 calories? Are you a pedicab driver? That seems very high for a 140 lb. person.

Trial and error with a nutritionist.. but I did say WHAT IF
  • Movemoreguy22
    edited October 2019

I make concrete post for a living, moving 20tone of cement every day by hand into moulds so a pedicab ain't got s### on me
  • Movemoreguy22
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you are eating that many calories in a day then 140g of protein should be dead easy - you don't have to limit yourself to just 140g, it's fine to go over or regard it as a minimum goal.

Where did the 4,000 cals/day goal come from? Real life experience

Me and a nutritionist sat down over a 1 year of changing things around to help me put weight on... it was hard work but managed to put half a stone on over the year...
    Started with 3200 and eventually got to 4200ish and starting gaining some weight. Was wondering if I really need to eat over 300g protein if I weight 140... I dont eat 4000 now I'm eating around 3000 and I'm back under 10stone 140ibs so all that hard work has gone 🤣🤣
  • sijomial
    Me and a nutritionist sat down over a 1 year of changing things around to help me put weight on... it was hard work but managed to put half a stone on over the year...
    Started with 3200 and eventually got to 4200ish and starting gaining some weight. Was wondering if I really need to eat over 300g protein if I weight 140... I dont eat 4000 now I'm eating around 3000 and I'm back under 10stone 140ibs so all that hard work has gone 🤣🤣

Where did 300g come from?
    (If you enjoy eating 300g of protein then go for it, if you don't then don't.)

Remember you don't need to manage your macros in percentages or in ratios. With a high (goal) calorie intake it makes even less sense.
    You can eat 140g protein as a minimum goal at your current 3,000cal intake or 140g as a minimum goal when you start eating at your desired 4,000+cals.

In reality your nutritional needs (including but not only macros) should be very easy to meet/exceed with a very high calorie allowance. Suggest you switch your main focus from macros to calories to achieve your objective - it's lack of calories currently that is your problem.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Ah cool cheers man... the 300 came from the Marco percentage of the kcal I was eating.
    To be honest I was getting sick of eating cold chicken breast to get the proteins in at lunch time for example... (yeah i no these other meat/fish).
    But if I can only eat 140 or a little higher it be easy peasy.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i eat just shy of 3000cal a day and cap my protein at 135 +/- 10g (not trying to gain, just maintain) - majority of my calories come from startchy grains (rice, farro, pasta etc)
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 247 Member
    To be honest I was getting sick of eating cold chicken breast to get the proteins in at lunch time for example... (yeah i no these other meat/fish).

Chicken breast? What about nut or peanut butter, cheese, chicken thighs even. Or if you must eat cold chicken breast try different salad dressings, like ranch, trader joe's spicy Asian peanut vinegrette. No reason to cut fats if you have that many calories.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 694 Member

Trial and error with a nutritionist.. but I did say WHAT IF

Any joe smith can be a nutritionist. Talk to a registered dietician if your paying for advice. 140 g is plenty until you gain more muscle. and 4K cal is absurd at 140 pounds to start off with unless you run all day long for work. Quick way to just gain fat. You can’t force feed muscle growth
  • Movemoreguy22
    Of course I eat peanuts etc etc. I dont just eat chicken haha
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    Roza42 wrote: »

Chicken breast? What about nut or peanut butter, cheese, chicken thighs even. Or if you must eat cold chicken breast try different salad dressings, like ranch, trader joe's spicy Asian peanut vinegrette. No reason to cut fats if you have that many calories.

Both peanut butter and cheese are mostly fats with a small amount of protein. If one is trying to get to a 100+ gram protein goal, they are drops in the bucket.
  • Roza42
    edited October 2019
    mmapags wrote: »

Both peanut butter and cheese are mostly fats with a small amount of protein. If one is trying to get to a 100+ gram protein goal, they are drops in the bucket.

Thank you for making my point. He needs the calories too. He stated he is down 1K a day. Why oh why is he trying to eat chicken breast?

And no you want plenty of carbs, but if you are having trouble getting enough calories EAT FAT with your food. If I'm not lifting I eat 50% fat, 30% protein, and 20% carbs. When I lift I eat 40% protein, 40% fats, and 20% carbs approximately.

The breakdowns are individual for me and I feel best when I eat those ratios. Everyone is different.

And yah with a job like that I can see you needing the calories. When my nephew is doing masonry he is eating that or more.
  • Movemoreguy22

Thank you for making my point. He needs the calories too. He stated he is down 1K a day. Why oh why is he trying to eat chicken breast?

And no you want plenty of carbs, but if you are having trouble getting enough calories EAT FAT with your food. If I'm not lifting I eat 50% fat, 30% protein, and 20% carbs. When I lift I eat 40% protein, 40% fats, and 20% carbs approximately.

The breakdowns are individual for me and I feel best when I eat those ratios. Everyone is different.

And yah with a job like that I can see you needing the calories. When my nephew is doing masonry he is eating that or more.

Cheers bud... if I'm eating 40% of protein for example, would my protein in grams be something like 300g plus.
  • sijomial

Cheers bud... if I'm eating 40% of protein for example, would my protein in grams be something like 300g plus.

But again why would you set percentages?
    My highest recorded day's calorie expenditure was 6,500 calories - would it make any sense for me to aim for 40% protein on that day?

With someone who has a lower and somewhat regular calorie need then percentages can be fine - but you need to eat for your particular needs and not someone else's.

Recently saw a meal that Billy Vunipola (massive England rugby player) was reputed to eat to meet his enormous calorie needs - a Dominoes pizza covered with a takeaway chicken curry and another Dominoes pizza on top to make a sandwich.

Just to underline you need to eat for your needs and not for someone else's needs.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Wow what a sandwich hahaha I get what your saying and i will give that a go cheers mate
  • meanplucker
    meanplucker Posts: 8 Member
    Getting 1g (or more) of protein per pound of body weight is key. The macro balance depends on you. For example I bulk load and don't care about macros as long as I make my protein goal for the day however I like to max out or beat my carb goal on days that I train because I train at night and the extra energy helps. As for making your protein goal, its the snacks that matter the most. They say eat 4-6 meals but if you only have time for 3 like me then turn to high protein snacks and fruit in between meals and drink lots of whole fat dairy if you can. I’ll eat 4 tbl spoons of skippy if I have to lol. Last resort is to supplement with whey protein drinks on days that you’re not making your protein goals. Dont pretend you keep good track of intake... use an app like mfp or something. Carb up on your on training days and place your biggest protein intake around your workouts before and after. At 46 i havent dieted or trained in 20 years and I just stacked on 20 poinds in 7 weeks starting in early september with a goal date set for march 2020. I crushed it and now plan on 40 gained by march 2020. Im a biginner ... if I can donit tou can. Good luck!!!
  • Roza42
    edited October 2019

Closer to 400 g or you could go for 300 gm protein and 222 g fat. Cheese, nut butters, sour cream, butter, avocado. Heck with those calories guac and chips!! Deviled eggs, yumm. Lots of stuff that goes down easier than chicken breast.

People who are saying go high protein are not dealing with a need for 4K kcals. I grew up on in a farming community and all those guys were skinny and losing weight eating 4K during the season. Oatmeal at 5 Huge pancake breakfasts at 8, cheese and bread at lunch, meat and potatoes at supper, and stews at dinner.

Though diet has to change when activity level does lol
  • Roza42

Closer to 400 g or you could go for 300 gm protein and 222 g fat. Cheese, nut butters, sour cream, butter, avocado. Heck with those calories guac and chips!! Deviled eggs, yumm. Lots of stuff that goes down easier than chicken breast.

People who are saying go high protein are not dealing with a need for 4K kcals. I grew up on in a farming community and all those guys were skinny and losing weight eating 4K during the season. Oatmeal at 5 Huge pancake breakfasts at 8, cheese and bread at lunch, meat and potatoes at supper, and stews at dinner.

Though diet has to change when activity level does lol

FYI my percentages are based on 1800-2000 kcals a day