Tapering for a race: a good time to cut?

Options
I will have my last long run on friday, with my first-ever half marathon a bit more than a week later. So, how to fill the time?

I'll be doing some short runs, a swim or two, and maybe a bike ride.

My question for the collective wisdom: should I restrict calories and try to lose some weight?

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Do you really think any weight loss in a week would be worthwhile?
    Fill the time with light work. Something you enjoy. If you're following a program, follow the program.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Do you really think any weight loss in a week would be worthwhile?
    Fill the time with light work. Something you enjoy. If you're following a program, follow the program.

I certainly don't want to gain weight and losing 1lb means 1lb less to carry. I guess the question is whether it will hurt my performance to restrict calorie intake during that week. In other words, you could try to bulk, cut, or maintain, which is the most advantageous?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    Maintain your current weight. Be cautious about doing too much cross-training that week since you are trying to rest your muscles, not strengthen them that week.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think a taper is an ideal time to cut. Your taper is meant in part to replenish your glycogen stores before your competition. Besides, you already get to eat less during your taper than you ate during training since you're less active. I find the taper period frustrating for exactly that reason. Why make it even more annoying by going into a deficit now?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Your primary goal before a longer endurance event is to maintain/increase glycogen stores. Trying to maintain a calorie deficit during that time probably not the best strategy.

Beat me to it!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My question for the collective wisdom: should I restrict calories and try to lose some weight?

No.
    At this late stage making sure you are fully fuelled and well rested and prepared for for your event.
    You have very little to gain from a slightly lower weight and a risk of a significant performance hit, very poor odds.

My typical routine when I have a set date to target.....
    8 weeks out from a big event I might lose weight for the first 5 or 6 weeks (varies depending on training impact). At maintenance calories week 7 which might also be a very intense training week, taper week is high carb and lower intensity / lower volume exercise to ensure I'm on the start line at the right weight, highest state of fitness, well rested and fully glycogen loaded.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the discussion. Maintaining my weight during this training cycle has been a challenge. The training plan has been insightful (Hal Higdon's "Novice 2"), but it actually had me working out for less time per week than I when training for (sprint) triathlon. I found I needed to go back to logging, which I had not needed for a while.

So, I'm a couple of pounds above my weight in the mid summer, and that is a burden I must carry with me wherever I go. ;)