HELP FOR A SENIOR

Okay, I am 65 years old, 5'7 and weigh 227 pounds. I have a recumbent bike and also Leslie Sansone's walk aerobic videos. I work at a desk all day. My upper thigh aches and I am wondering what kind of exercise I can do to help my let stop aching. It isn't a pain, just a dull, annoying ache, just enough to tell me it is there. I know I need to lose weight and wondering is Tai Chi good too?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I would recommend gentle stretching for your thigh. If you've overworked the leg, try putting ice on the area and elevating it.

Listen to your body. It tells you what it needs. It might need rest.

I don't know enough about tai chi to say whether it would help.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Go for a walk. Go slow, go short. Get longer as you progress.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited October 2019
    If you have just started doing the recumbent bike and walk videos, you may be overdoing it.

Keeping the above in mind, and assuming you are referring to muscles being sore/aching, it is probably DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). This is nothing to worry about, just your muscles repairing and getting used to the extra stress you are putting on them. (Gentle movements, walking may help)

The soreness will go once your muscles get used to the extra challenge you are giving them.
    (It happens to most of us as we start something new or change our workout)

If you are trying to get in some exercise everyday, after doing none for a few years, drop to 3x a week on none consecutive days. Bike 2days and walk 1, or the reverse.

Or start doing 3 days of one of the workouts, this is a good frequency for your muscles to recover, then once you are comfortable with this, no longer sore, introduce the other workout on the alternate days.

Don’t expect to be able to do a long hard workout, start slow and light and build from there. Be kind to yourself, but keep moving.

I m 66 and, though I don’t think I have to underestimate my fitness capabilities, I personally know I have to take it a little slower than I might have when I was 36. I get there in the end though.

Cheers, h.

ETA:
    If it is not muscle soreness (DOMS), or it doesn’t lessen in a couple of weeks, please go see your doctor.
    It may be worth getting a wellness check, and cleared for exercise anyway.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Okay, I am 65 years old, 5'7 and weigh 227 pounds. I have a recumbent bike and also Leslie Sansone's walk aerobic videos. I work at a desk all day. My upper thigh aches and I am wondering what kind of exercise I can do to help my let stop aching. It isn't a pain, just a dull, annoying ache, just enough to tell me it is there. I know I need to lose weight and wondering is Tai Chi good too?

When you say they ache do you mean your hamstrings or quads. If it's your quads you may have just overdone the biking a bit (or it may just be the normal aches recovering from a new activity) if it's your hamstrings it may be a result of tight hamstrings / hips (any lower back pain?) that is very common among office workers who sit most of the day. If you can, try to get up and walk around frequently during the day and start stretching more often (if you're stretching at all)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,790 Member
    To know whether tai chi would help, I'd need some idea of what's wrong with your thigh**. Have you talked with your doctor? Can you get a referral for physical therapy? (Those folks can be almost magical in figuring out what the issue is, and identifying exercises to improve it.)

** Some (many) forms of tai chi involve torque (twisting and turning) of the legs, sometimes on a partly weighted or fully weighted leg. For certain kinds of physical problems, that's not a great thing. For others, it might be helpful. Some types of tai chi have been modified to benefit people with arthritis, for example.

Besides the stretching, if the thigh soreness feels like it might be tight or sore muscles, you might try taking a tennis ball and rolling it over the thigh muscles with your hand, with enough pressure to feel it, but not to actually hurt. A rolling pin can be used in a similar way, on top of a towel.

Best wishes!
  • LeeH31
    LeeH31 Posts: 312 Member
    Hey Kat! I am in a similar position, just a bit heavier than you. I thought I could do the Leslie Sansone workouts after years of being sedentary, I was wrong! My legs ached so bad! What I could do is just WALK, outside, for about 10-15 minutes. I did that and found that after 3 days I could go to 20 minutes, another 2 days and it was 30 minutes. Right now, after about a month, I am up to 45 minutes for a 2.25 mile walk.

I'm not sure why I had such trouble doing the Sansone walking, but I think regular walking is easier on your hips and knees. Wear good walking shoes and good socks. Take your time to build up your distance. You can do this!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Leslie Sansone was tough for me as a beginner 5 yrs ago. Now it is easy for me. Depending on which workout you’re doing, some of them can be quite vigorous. Just do what you can and keep progressing!!
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    edited October 2019
    If you are working at a desk all day (like I do), you need to get up and walk or just stand for 5-10 mins every hour or so. I had some adductor issues (shortening from sitting) and this fixed it.

I hope that you have been cleared for exercise by your doctor.

Walking is a good place to start. It led me back to running. I'm, 59 yo, fwiw.

Movement is medicine. You'll feel better once you work your way thru the pains the older flesh is prey to...

Good luck!