Getting out of your head

Options
I’ve always been my biggest enemy. I start a diet or exercise program and either scale defies me when i think i’m busting my butt or my body fails me or i think it’s ok to take today off. Excuses excuses excuses. Although they are all real, they all held me back from following through. I’m trying my damnedest this time. I don’t want to give up. The voice in my head was very loud today. You want that unhealthy food from McDonalds. Maybe if i just have a sandwich. it’s late, maybe it’s ok to skip the treadmill today (i’ve committed myself to starting off with 30 minutes on the treadmill a day.) i did 15 maybe half is ok. NO no no!!! So i did it. Wasn’t easy but i did and i’m just hoping tomorrow i can do the same

Replies

• megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Like AA we have to take it a day at a time, and then another day and another.
  • QueenofCaffeine4Life
    Options
    @Graymanstole I loved your comment!

@kitkatpp I believe that is the issue most of us have. So take that as you are very normal. What makes you stand out though is your last line, "wasn't easy but I DID IT"! That is the part that makes all the difference. Making a choice to do it anyway, or not eat it, or just saying no.
    Proud of you for that.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This is a journey about Progress. Not Perfection.

You will have good days. You will have bad days. You will want to give up, far more often than you believe possible. You will bust your rump for a week straight and will stare in horror as the scale says you put on 2 pounds. Just remember the scale only tells you how much gravity is affecting you right then, at that exact moment, and is not a good indicator of your progress.

I make bad choices on nearly a daily basis, but I start each day saying "I don't need to be perfect, but I WANT to be better"

Good luck. Stay strong, keep fighting. Don't give up.

Hear! Hear!

I distill it down to core values - honor, courage, commitment.

I focus on what matters - the 20% of the causes which lead to 80% of the effects. In weight management that's calories. In exercise that's discipline.

As a personal BS check - I stress that there are 168 hours in the week so if I find myself thinking "I don't have enough time" my inner monologue kicks in shouting "Bull Squeeze!!!"
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My schedule was disrupted this morning because my wife's doctor rescheduled an appointment. So instead of a morning walk, I was taking kids to school. Took 6 starts to get 30 straight minutes in on the elliptical.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    Hang in everyone you can do it, there are ups and downs but that's what makes it interesting!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    kitkatpp wrote: »
    I’ve always been my biggest enemy. I start a diet or exercise program and either scale defies me when i think i’m busting my butt or my body fails me or i think it’s ok to take today off. Excuses excuses excuses. Although they are all real, they all held me back from following through. I’m trying my damnedest this time. I don’t want to give up. The voice in my head was very loud today. You want that unhealthy food from McDonalds. Maybe if i just have a sandwich. it’s late, maybe it’s ok to skip the treadmill today (i’ve committed myself to starting off with 30 minutes on the treadmill a day.) i did 15 maybe half is ok. NO no no!!! So i did it. Wasn’t easy but i did and i’m just hoping tomorrow i can do the same

Maybe the answer is make a plan to eat the McDonalds sandwich and find something you like doing more than the treadmill. Maybe the answer is the treadmill but you need a different way to fully enjoy it.

No one scores any extra health points by making it harder than it needs to be. Since a somewhat believable survey says that 80 percent of all weight loss efforts fail making it as easy as possible seems like the real goal.

Fighting with yourself is no good. The odds of you having a goal oriented outcome when the fight is over is always going to be 50/50.

• staffa63
    staffa63 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I take it day by day. If I screw up one day, oh well, tomorrow is another day. I also try to focus on feeling better. Looking thinner/better is a side benefit. Being too heavy makes it harder to walk, travel, play with my little grandson, act. Way better than the short rush you get from eating high calorie/fattening food.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Options
    IMO, the most important thing is if you do go off-track for one thing, don't let that open the door to going hog wild. It's the whole thing of, "if one tire goes flat, you don't go around slashing the other 3 too." If you slip up, pick yourself up and get right back on plan!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean - but eventually, one day there came the point when I realized that I want to do something entirely for myself. Terribly, terribly selfish I know - but for once I come first. And my mental and physical health, my happiness, my new balanced life. And you know what? People are starting to notice and they like what they see. Maybe its rubbing off?