These Boots Are Made For Walking

Options
I just had a fun idea. I have a son that lives in Seattle Washington. I am currently in Russellville AR for work. I wondered the distance between us, and how long it would take to walk there. It's over 2163 miles, and would take me 716 hours to walk there. Assuming I could walk for 12 hours a day, it would take me about 2 months to get there.

HERE'S THE CHALLENGE:
Pick ANY location, preferably in your country (as it's hard to walk under water without dying)... find the distance, and 'walk' that distance! Use your tracking device to log miles, set a goal to get there sooner than what it's supposed to. Treadmills, work breaks, taking the stairs, just 'get there'.

Maybe it's a family member or friend's home, or an ideal vacation spot, but 'walk' the distance it would take to get there, and beat the time it should take to 'get there'. Log it here if you like, or just keep track on your own, but I'm going to 'walk' to Seattle to see my son this month!

Where's your journey taking you? How long will take for you to 'get there'? How will you reward yourself? Keep it fun!

Replies

• GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea! When I first got a pedometer, I started registering the walked distances (using a spreadsheet), for no other reason than curiosity. I'm amazed at the lengths I've walked so far, in total. :)
  • TravelingNukeGuy
    TravelingNukeGuy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    GummiMundi wrote: »
    That's a great idea! When I first got a pedometer, I started registering the walked distances (using a spreadsheet), for no other reason than curiosity. I'm amazed at the lengths I've walked so far, in total. :)

I agree, I just thought this would add a little more motivation!
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I agree too, that's an awesome idea. I'll bookmark this thread. I'm a hiker/walker -- editing to say I'd like to walk from my house to the Grand Canyon in AZ (about 900 miles, lol). I'm recovering from a knee/leg injury (not serious, just painful) and will check back when I'm well to see if this is still going. You might post this under the Challenge category.
  • TravelingNukeGuy
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    I agree too, that's an awesome idea. I'll bookmark this thread. I'm a hiker/walker -- editing to say I'd like to walk from my house to the Grand Canyon in AZ (about 900 miles, lol). I'm recovering from a knee/leg injury (not serious, just painful) and will check back when I'm well to see if this is still going. You might post this under the Challenge category.

I was half asleep when I typed this out late last night, I need to re-read it to see if it even makes sense! And I thought about that after the fact, I'll do it now, thank you!
  • Hollis100
    Options
    Actually, the Grand Canyon is more like 2200 miles from my house (I'm on the east coast USA). Maybe I could walk somewhere closer, like to Quebec, lol. Yes, I hope you keep up with this. The concept is really fun.
  • TravelingNukeGuy
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    Actually, the Grand Canyon is more like 2200 miles from my house (I'm on the east coast USA). Maybe I could walk somewhere closer, like to Quebec, lol. Yes, I hope you keep up with this. The concept is really fun.

It's up in the Challenges now! Thank you!
  • Hollis100
    Options
    Great, I'll comment there or bookmark it so I can take part when my injury heals and I can actually walk.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    If you have a Fitbit, they have had something like this set up under challenges and adventures. There’s also virtual walking challenge sites you can Google. Kind of fun.
  • TravelingNukeGuy
    Options
    If you have a Fitbit, they have had something like this set up under challenges and adventures. There’s also virtual walking challenge sites you can Google. Kind of fun.

I really had no idea. I didn't research it or anything, I just thought it was a fun idea if anyone wanted to join. :)
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    This is a fun idea! I have an app (that is NOT FOR EVERYONE because it's definitely very nerdy) called Walk to Mordor. You know, Mordor, from Lord of the Rings? In the app you are basically one of the hobbits walking to Mordor and every time you hit a milestone (like, a couple day ago I hit "Meets the Black Rider,") you get a couple of paragraphs from the book from that scene, which is covered by the amount of miles you walked to get there.

It's a very low tech, simple, graphics-free free app - doesn't connect to your pedometer, so you have to manually type in how much you walked each day. Still, it's cute.