Considering running my first half.....

Options
cdubks88
cdubks88 Posts: 3,573 Member
I've signed up before, but never got to finish up the event. My leg went bum on me the week before.

I guess I haven't done it before because I've talked myself out of it....but it hasn't been without cause. I've run hard in shorter races in some pretty extreme heat and once got 3/4 of the way through only to collapse with some heat exhaustion. I've got ignorantly high body heat.....so that doesn't help.

But.....it's been a bucket list goal of mine. Just to do it and then maybe one full.

I just know my body definitely isn't what it used to be. I mean, I feel great and am leaner now than I have been in years, but I also have always run through a lot of stuff I probably shouldn't have (back probs, etc).

Maybe I'm just concerned about passing out half way through....not sure. But I would love to know from those who have done it your opinions on the difference in mileage.

For awhile I was running 7-7.5 daily and then going long on weekends (11-12) and I seemed to do that fine for awhile, but when my leg got dinged out, haven't really done it since.

Would love to hear some feedback on what you did to get ready.

Replies

• Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    @yogidani77 didn’t you run your first half earlier this year??
  • yogidani77
    yogidani77 Posts: 6,978 Member
    Options
    Cowsfan1 wrote: »

I did!!!!
    Word of advice to anyone that runs your first half marathon:
    1. Train beforehand. The Hal Higdon plan was recommended to me by @IslandGal3
    and it really helped!!
    2. When they say take 2 weeks off from heavy exercise after,
    DO IT!!!! I tried running bleachers a few days afterwards and I’m still trying to recover.
    Also, most of the people I seen didn’t run the whole time. Personally, I ran for 4 miles and walked the rest. It was my goal just to complete a half marathon :)
    Good luck to you!!!!
  • cdubks88
    edited October 2019
    Options
    yogidani77 wrote: »
    Cowsfan1 wrote: »

I did!!!!
    Word of advice to anyone that runs your first half marathon:
    1. Train beforehand. The Hal Higdon plan was recommended to me by @IslandGal3
    and it really helped!!
    2. When they say take 2 weeks off from heavy exercise after,
    DO IT!!!! I tried running bleachers a few days afterwards and I’m still trying to recover.
    Also, most of the people I seen didn’t run the whole time. Personally, I ran for 4 miles and walked the rest. It was my goal just to complete a half marathon :)
    Good luck to you!!!!

Awesome. I appreciate the advice!

I try to take a day between longs and my regular daily so I'll have to work that one out.....two weeks shouldn't kill me to lay off..... 😂😂🤣🤣

I'll check out the plan you mentioned.

My biggest concern honestly is tightening up. I stretch during my runs as I go - A LOT.....but my legs always feel better that way.....

Anything in particular you did differently eating at all before?

Thanks again! 😁😎
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Totally agree with a good training plan and follow it right through race week! I still lift while training but follow a plan for marathon runners, concentrating on knee strength/conditioning.

I carb load the 24 hours before race day and tons of water. I don't eat anything crazy or out of the ordinary the few days before race day either. You just don't know how your body will react.

Take at least the next week off from anything but light stretching and walking. I also take the next day off work, if I work the day after a long race. I made that mistake my first race and regretted having to work that day.

Make sure you have plenty of miles on your shoes before race day so they are broke in but not too broken in that they cause other issues.

Most of all enjoy every step of the process, when you cross the finish line you will be so damn proud of yourself! I found the first spot of open grass I could, collapsed, ripped my shoes off and cried when I finished my first. It was an amazing feeling that doesn't compare to anything I can put into words.

Eta: experiment with glucose pouches/boosters during your training. See if they work for you and if it is something you think you need. I end up not using them for halves. I do need them for 20+ miles though.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Well first thing, good on you. Half marathon is important running milestone. Everyone has a different body and endurance. You got a running background which is a bonus, also you probably still have discipline in you since you used to regular runs.

I think going on some 5k runs at tempo for a couple of days and kinda gauge it from there. Even if you gotta stop and slow down set a goal distance because it reinforces the purpose and discipline. Work up from there but also listen to your body. U could do some cycling and swimming just build the cardio endurance and give the joints and bones a rest. If it’s an event remember they should have first aid and assistance there for that piece of mind.
  • cdubks88
    Options
    Well first thing, good on you. Half marathon is important running milestone. Everyone has a different body and endurance. You got a running background which is a bonus, also you probably still have discipline in you since you used to regular runs.

I think going on some 5k runs at tempo for a couple of days and kinda gauge it from there. Even if you gotta stop and slow down set a goal distance because it reinforces the purpose and discipline. Work up from there but also listen to your body. U could do some cycling and swimming just build the cardio endurance and give the joints and bones a rest. If it’s an event remember they should have first aid and assistance there for that piece of mind.

I do 7-7.5 daily 6 days a week. I was thinking I might start back to an 11-12 mile on Saturdays to work back into those longs.

I did 12.5-12.75 when I was doing those with not a lot of difficulty, so I think I should be ok (other than I want to do it before my 50th next year 😎🤘)

Thanks for the feedback!
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    cdubks88 wrote: »

I do 7-7.5 daily 6 days a week. I was thinking I might start back to an 11-12 mile on Saturdays to work back into those longs.

I did 12.5-12.75 when I was doing those with not a lot of difficulty, so I think I should be ok (other than I want to do it before my 50th next year 😎🤘)

Thanks for the feedback!

Sounds like you’re gonna smash it then 👍