Meal replacement shakes

Options
Any one here use them? What do/don’t you recommend? I have liked slim fast and Herbalife so far but just kind of sampling them right now. If you are going to tell me to not use them than please don’t comment at all thanks!

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    No - one should tell you what to do and what not to do, especially cheap advertising which seems to hit us from all sides. I am a traditional food eater - I like to use my teeth, crunch things, bite into bits, gnaw at things, rip things apart - but most of all let all the flavours develop in my mouth and all that with a good glass of wine. Recently I watched someone with a broken jaw which was wired up for at least 6 weeks. No plates, no bowls of delicious food, no knife, no fork, no spoon, no cups or saucers - just a drinking glass and a straw. That would literally kill me!
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    18 Shake is supposed to be good. I haven't tried it because it includes stevia. Since most people tolerate stevia well, this may work for you.

One of the reasons I make my own smoothies is because I can start with protein powders that are unsweetened and avoid the now ubiquitous (at least in "diet" foods) stevia.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    kbushe3221 wrote: »
    Any one here use them? What do/don’t you recommend? I have liked slim fast and Herbalife so far but just kind of sampling them right now. If you are going to tell me to not use them than please don’t comment at all thanks!

In general, liquid calories are NOT as satisfying per unit energy vs whole foods. Some people say they keep them full, but the research points to the opposite.
  • kbushe3221
    kbushe3221 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

In general, liquid calories are NOT as satisfying per unit energy vs whole foods. Some people say they keep them full, but the research points to the opposite.

They have been filling for me. The reason they appeal to me is I lead a busy lifestyle so it’s convenient. It’s not even manageable to meal prep bc I have 11 month twins so shakes are quick and easy. I just want one that isn’t bad for me and others people had good experiences with. I should add that I do eat snacks and regular meals through out the day but dinner is easiest to drink right now!
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I make my own for lunch everyday, using protein powder, almond or almond coconut milk, sometimes yogurt or juice, fresh or frozen fruit, sometimes rolled oats; whatever I'm in the mood for. Today I took the simple route and just used almond-coconut milk, banana creme protein powder, and some pumpkin pie spice. Warmed it in the microwave, and enjoyed the taste of Fall! I used to use Equate's brand of meal replacement shakes, but they really didn't taste all that good. I like my own much better! Today's was just 250 calories, with 31 grams of protein.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

They have been filling for me. The reason they appeal to me is I lead a busy lifestyle so it’s convenient. It’s not even manageable to meal prep bc I have 11 month twins so shakes are quick and easy. I just want one that isn’t bad for me and others people had good experiences with. I should add that I do eat snacks and regular meals through out the day but dinner is easiest to drink right now!

Well.... how about a beer? Lol
  • kbushe3221
    Options

Well.... how about a beer? Lol

I could use 20
  • kbushe3221
    Options
    OHFlamingo wrote: »
    I make my own for lunch everyday, using protein powder, almond or almond coconut milk, sometimes yogurt or juice, fresh or frozen fruit, sometimes rolled oats; whatever I'm in the mood for. Today I took the simple route and just used almond-coconut milk, banana creme protein powder, and some pumpkin pie spice. Warmed it in the microwave, and enjoyed the taste of Fall! I used to use Equate's brand of meal replacement shakes, but they really didn't taste all that good. I like my own much better! Today's was just 250 calories, with 31 grams of protein.

That sounds yummy
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Back in the day I used a brand called idealshape- only available online. It had the best reviews and was quite palatable. It was also quite a bit cheaper than other leading brands.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    I like Sunwarrior Illuminate Meal Replacement, Garden of Life RAW MEAL or RAW FIT. Vega One protein is good too. Vitamin Shoppe has one by PLNT, very good. All are plant based, no sugar. I use regular plant protein but have used all the ones I mentioned
    Another good choice is Plant Fusion.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    I have been using Garden of Life Sport Plant protein the past few days and was thinking of this post and wanted to share it really fills me up and I have not been hungry after. I make it warm like hot cocoa.
  • kbushe3221
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I have been using Garden of Life Sport Plant protein the past few days and was thinking of this post and wanted to share it really fills me up and I have not been hungry after. I make it warm like hot cocoa.

Think I will give it a try thanks!
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My favorite shake is premier protein. I've poured it over ice coffee instead of using creamer as well but it's tasty on it's own too. My afternoon pick me up before the gym is usually a big ice coffee with the shake to be honest. If I run late in the mornings i use it as a meal replacement and I'm good til my lunch hour. Hope you find what works for you
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    boldknee wrote: »
    18 Shake is supposed to be good. I haven't tried it because it includes stevia. Since most people tolerate stevia well, this may work for you.

One of the reasons I make my own smoothies is because I can start with protein powders that are unsweetened and avoid the now ubiquitous (at least in "diet" foods) stevia.

How come you don't like stevia? I'm just curious
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I just started making shakes for my 6am breakfast because I had a case of Muscle Milk Light that I can't drink on it's own.
    I put 1/4cup Rolled oats, 1TBS Chia seeds and blend till powder.
    Add handfull of frozen black berries, half a frozen banana, few ice cubes and 1 premade Muscle Milk Light.
    Blend all together and whola! My breakfast.
    It keeps me full till 10am.
  • nuzziek
    nuzziek Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »

I second this, and would like to add that their vegan protein bars are really yummy and filling too! I found them at Target.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    boldknee wrote: »

Yes, I make my own with unsweetened protein powder as well. This one has just a hint of vanilla, which is not discernible amidst all the fruit and veggies.

e57573996f8839793639e221b8675e4d.png