Avocado on toast

Options
2»

Replies

• Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Avocado doesn't fill me for the calorie punch it gives. Feta typically has pretty high calorie..not as high as melting cheeses but still. So yes it could be really high in calories depending on how much you used. Healthy yes but also calories and fat are high with these items.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Avacodos are 1.6 cals a gram vs butter at 9 cals.

Sure, but no one is going to put 225 g of butter on toast, right?

Nope... but is a nice exchange for someone who might like a slightly buttery taste on toast.... get some fiber too. Monounsaturated Fats as well..
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Avacodos are 1.6 cals a gram vs butter at 9 cals.

Sure, but no one is going to put 225 g of butter on toast, right?

That's two sticks, I can't imagine anyone doing that except maybe Paula Deen.

Went to her restaurant years ago in Savannah.... nothing worth writing home about....
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Weigh the avocado on food scale WITHOUT the skin and pit. I eat a whole one and it is usually less than 100 grams for the entire avocado, which equals around 140-160 calories. On whole grain toast, total calories is around 300.

Oh the poor, tiny, Haas avocado. Where I live our avocados can be 3 to 4 times the size of them.

Hass are perfect for single serving. I don't need a 3 lb avocado.

Half a Hass is perfect for a single serving, IME.

Also, my understanding is that the giant Florida ones aren't as tasty.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    What is important is that you weigh what is actually going on the toast. The simplest way to do that is to weigh the toast without the avocado, then with. Then add the Feta and weigh again. But, geez find something worthwhile to spend the massive calories on.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Weigh the avocado on food scale WITHOUT the skin and pit. I eat a whole one and it is usually less than 100 grams for the entire avocado, which equals around 140-160 calories. On whole grain toast, total calories is around 300.

Oh the poor, tiny, Haas avocado. Where I live our avocados can be 3 to 4 times the size of them.

1/2 a hass on each slice of toast is perfect
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yeah avocados and cheese can be high calorie, if it makes you feel satisfied you should enjoy it :)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Your bread could be packing on a bunch of calories, too. Maybe find a lower calorie bread that you like so you don't have to skimp on the toppings.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Avozillaavocado.jpg.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Florida avocado is delicious, imo. Not inferior in any way. And you can cut a slice, and double saran- wrap the rest to keep it from browning. It lasts for a few days in the fridge when ripe.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    it's not bad, no. It may or may not be too high in calories for your chosen calorie allowance, though. If breakfast is usually a larger meal for you and you are fine cutting the extra calories elsewhere, or if your calorie allowance isn't stressed by it, then you don't need to change anything about it. If you want your breakfast to have fewer calories, you can simply use less avocado/cheese.
  • teresa19622015
    teresa19622015 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    @jwoolman5 thanks for that tip! I don’t want to eat a whole one but felt bad as I too couldn’t get them to keep in the fridge so good to know they freeze well.
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I will eat a whole avocado for breakfast with a spoon right out of the skin. I don't use salt or pepper, just the avocado, but I like that and eat most fresh foods that way.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Just change your portion! I would do 1 slice of toast (around 100 calories, but more if You want better quality bread), 85g of avocado (around 140 calories) and 14 grams (.5 oz) of feta (40 calories) plus a few cherry tomatoes (10 calories). About 300 calories, with all the stuff you like, just a smaller breakfast portion.

Of course, if you like to do a bigger breakfast and smaller lunches/dinners, you can keep doing your 600 cal breakfast! Nothing wrong with that.