For those who are single, do you cook?

Replies

• hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    When I was single, Sunday was cooking day. Two or three recipes that would last me the week. Then all your cooking for the week is done and all you have to do is nuke it. Or warm it in the oven or a pan depending on what you made.

• Eric_smeric
    Eric_smeric Posts: 40 Member
    I cook almost every day.
  • jennibee70
    jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
    If I wasn't cooking, I would still be alone - I'd be alone doing the housework, or alone watching television or whatever. So I try to use cooking as a hobby, trying out new recipes and new ingredients and enjoying making them look as nice as possible. It must be said, as a vegetarian, it's probably easier for me to cook just for myself than for another person anyway!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Not single, but I work and cook from home for myself daily. g/f does not so I'm solo. I don't find it lonely or anything negative - I generally enjoy it and it goes quickly (maybe 10-15 minutes, tops).

I tell Alexa to play salsa music or whatever usually while cooking and bop around.

While eating, I like to sit and read. It's always nice.
  • kaika_dragon
    kaika_dragon Posts: 101 Member
    I cook. The parts that take hands on work require too much concentration for me to worry about feeling lonely. The parts where I just leave something to cook, I set a timer and read a book or watch videos on YouTube. Which is pretty much what I do when I'm home alone anyways.
    The only things I tend to avoid cooking by myself are things which require you to stand there stirring it forever, like homemade pudding, or things which take a bunch of pans, because I hate the cleanup.
    But simple home cooking is fine. Maybe not actively enjoyable most of the time, but it's a neutral chore that needs to get done, and I get rewarded at the end with food that I like.
    I will say that I usually only cook dinners, and not always every night - my lunches and a dinner or two a week are leftovers, and I'm usually rushing in the mornings, so I eat quick, basic stuff like muffins I put in the freezer, cereal, or peanut butter banana sandwiches. If I tried to cook for every meal separately, I'd probably get sick of it pretty quick.
  • I copied and pasted my post from another thread:

I'm a bachelor who works 12 hour days, plus drive time, plus training, plus life...I have minimal time to cook. In fact, it's been a good while since I even used my stove. I feel I am qualified to answer this.

My day pretty much looks like this:
    Breakfast: Restaurant breakfast burritos I buy in bulk 2x a week
    Lunch: pre cooked deli shredded chicken, minute rice, microwave steamed broccoli (prepped Sundays and wednesdays), also a shake made with raw egg whites, carb powder, and coconut oil.
    Pre-workout snacks: Beef stick, protien bar, Gatorade. Maybe a piece of fruit.
    Dinner: Cold, pre-smoked salmon (just open the package), or protien pizza with a chicken crust (microwaveable), Minute rice for the carbs, maybe some raw veggies or fruit. Occasionally I have time to grill a steak or chicken, but not always.
    Pre-bed feeding: protein cookie, almond milk, cheese, almonds, cold turkey, Greek yogurt, beef stick.

I'm cutting right now on basically the above, comes out to around 3000 cals a day and I dont do anything but microwave things to put in Tupperware and make protein shakes. Kinda expensive living this way though I'll admit.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    i'm single and a I cook and bake a lot. As in, I used to have a cooking blog, dearly miss Daring Bakers, use my online NYTimes subscription more for their recipes than actual news, and will occasionally make filo dough from scratch. I personally really enjoy cooking. I always have and I'm good at it.

Like others, I think that cooking significantly cheaper than eating out. Given than I have the time and resources, I'm not sure how it wouldn't be more expensive. I also feel just as alone, if not more so, eating out alone as eating alone at home. I am an introvert, but I also deal with a lot of loneliness (that has more to do with my depression than anything else). I do enjoy eating out (with other people or alone) and I go to coffee/post rowing breakfast most Saturdays, but I cook the vast majority of my meals from scratch. Also, while cooking is a nice time to listen to podcasts, it doesn't always take a lot of hands on time.

I think there are a lot of things going on with the divide:
    People who like cooking vs those who don't
    People who feel comfortable cooking vs whose who don't
    People who can afford to eat out on a regular basis which includes the ability to work it into their budget
    People who want to fit that into their budget vs those who would prefer to cook for themselves more often than not
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

Hah! Well, I microwave eggs...but mostly cottage cheese or greek yogurt mixed with protein powder, protein bars, tuna packets, some fruit, chocolate, cookies :), cereal, stuff like that. I don't eat many veggies...

I'm picky tho, I only do a couple different ones. Can't understand people who are freakishly passionate about spinach and cucumber salads. I'm with you, I die inside without chocolate. Have to get mine imported tho, I can't eat American chocolate.
    0.0 protein powder with cottage cheese/greek yogurt.. BRB...
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Yes I do.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Cutemesoon wrote: »
    @just_Tomek You can cook for me any day! Your food always looks so yummy! :yum:
    You plate & photograph it so well.

Anyone is always welcomed for a meal at my place.

I wish you lived near me, I'd love to learn from you!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Very single, and yes, I cook - but have a few "modifications."

At this point, most of my lunches are just frozen meals from the store - working on transitioning to cooking to include leftovers I can freeze and bring instead, but haven't perfected that yet.

Dinners I almost always cook, or meals when I'm home all day. Most lunches are just leftovers or something that's more finger-food type things. Breakfast I just do my post-workout shake and my coffee with creamer (plenty of calories).

I'm an introvert, so after all day at work, I ENJOY the peace and quiet of my home LOL!! I turn on some music, and cook away, generally staying pretty busy during that process. Then I finally get a chance to unwind with a show or two, then it's time to head off to bed to read for a bit then sleep.

I've learned I've got a bit of a knack for using spices and such, and sometimes enjoy experimenting, or just finding tasty ways to enjoy a staple. I also have a few "easy" stand by things for days when I'm tired or worn out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still prone to eating out way more than I should, but it does my waist line and my budget NO favors!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member

I'll bring the wine. Partial to Muscadine myself.lol
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I have a boyfriend, but we really only see each other on the weekends so I eat alone most of the time. I cook a lot, almost everyday. I see it as a form of self care.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    I am married but my husband rarely ever cooks for himself or the two of us. I like to cook but find it very time consuming so do not do it as often as I would like, perhaps 1-3 times a week.
  • Jockyscott95
    Jockyscott95 Posts: 9 Member
    I can’t cook at all, that’s how I put on so much weight in a few years.

Trying to learn some so I don’t need to eat fast food and takeaways every night and can shed some weight.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    This week I made black beans, rice, and greens. Last week I made lentil soup and a rice and veggie stir fry. I keep it simple.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    i'm single and a I cook and bake a lot. As in, I used to have a cooking blog, dearly miss Daring Bakers, use my online NYTimes subscription more for their recipes than actual news, and will occasionally make filo dough from scratch. I personally really enjoy cooking. I always have and I'm good at it.

Like others, I think that cooking significantly cheaper than eating out. Given than I have the time and resources, I'm not sure how it wouldn't be more expensive. I also feel just as alone, if not more so, eating out alone as eating alone at home. I am an introvert, but I also deal with a lot of loneliness (that has more to do with my depression than anything else). I do enjoy eating out (with other people or alone) and I go to coffee/post rowing breakfast most Saturdays, but I cook the vast majority of my meals from scratch. Also, while cooking is a nice time to listen to podcasts, it doesn't always take a lot of hands on time.

I think there are a lot of things going on with the divide:
    1. People who like cooking vs those who don't I like to cook
    2. People who feel comfortable cooking vs whose who don't I'm comfortable cooking
    3. People who can afford to eat out on a regular basis which includes the ability to work it into their budget I could afford to eat out more but I'm cheap
    4. People who want to fit that into their budget vs those who would prefer to cook for themselves more often than not I prefer to cook

My OH wanted muffins and I just couldn't bring myself to spend the $4 on them at the store because baking season has just started (by which I mean it's almost time to turn on the heat so having the oven on is nice) plus I had all the ingredients at home and I love to bake. Made blueberry for him tonight and tomorrow will probably make cranberry for my brother and corn for my neighbors.

My OH, on the other hand, complains about how long it takes him to make eggs in the AM. Says he could have been back from Dunkin Donuts already. :D
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »

I wish you lived near me, I'd love to learn from you!

Moving an option lol be it me or you haha :)
    psychod787 wrote: »

I'll bring the wine. Partial to Muscadine myself.lol

That will work. Muscadine is a bit on the sweet side but will go very well with home smoked ribs or chicken. When are you coming? ;)

Agreed... now i just need to renew my passport... lol
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    Yes I cook for myself and keep leftovers for the next day
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    When single i always cooked - anything from pasta and ready made pesto up to stews and baking (now I’m not I still cook btw).

It is cheaper, usually healthier and tastier, and most often enjoyable.

I guess I don’t get the ‘hate clear up’ comments too. Stacking plates and leaving til I feel like it - or quickly washing a pot in nice hot soapy water or rinsing a chopping board as I go along. What is the problem?

Whereas rinsing cold greasy take out or microwave plastic for the recycling - now that really is a job I hate!

I sometimes think enjoy cooking less now I have a family - it takes longer to prep and I have less ‘second time round’ meals...