Starting Strength Training Question

Options
On Wednesday, I began a self-directed strength training program using free weights. Today, Friday, would be my day to go back at it, but my quads are still incredibly sore from the squats I did on Wedneday. Here's my question, do I power through the routine despite the pain, do everything on the regime expect the squats, or skip today, giving myself another day of recovery and do the program on Saturday instead?

FYI, I haven't done strength training in a really, really long time (2012), so I'm really out of shape. I've lost nearly 50 pounds since restarting MFP at the beginning of June. I know its past time to concentrate of preserving my muscle with strength training. I've got a nicely equipped gym at work, so no more excuses!

Any words of wisdom for this newbie would be most appreciated!

Replies

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You probaby just over did it after a few years off.. It's OK to train when you are still sore from a previous session, but if it's too pain full, just do some light squats, maybe just the bar , or body weight . To idea is to get some blood flow through the legs. Maybe just go for a walk. - next session use less weight and progress from there.
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your advice. I'll treat this as a rest day and stick with light cardio instead. I am using an established program of simple free weight/body weight exercises that are recommended for beginners, I'm just not working with a personal trainer. I realize that working with a personal trainer would be ideal; I've done that in the past and it was great, but there's the whole issue of finding one, scheduling it, budgeting the expense. Truth is I wanted break down as many barriers to getting started as I could because I've resisted strength training for so long.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    speyerj wrote: »
    Truth is I wanted break down as many barriers to getting started as I could because I've resisted strength training for so long.

Starting somewhere is key. The books are inexpensive and available on Amazon and provide a pretty good ground work. I got a few different ones that were repeatedly mentioned on a couple weight lifting forums and I read all of them, putting the most weight (pun) and mental footnoting on concepts that were mentioned across all the books.

I am not a peopley person, so I generally *avoid* working with personal trainers and only venture into a gym with earbuds firmly placed and eyes on the floor, weights, or mirror.

For me, the first two weeks are always the most painful (Like, OMG, WHY DID I DO THIS TO MYSELF? ON PURPOSE?!). After that, if I remain consistent, even as I increase weight and intensity, I just have a good "feels nice to stretch" kind of soreness the next day, unless I take a break that lasts longer than a week. Then we're back to psyching myself up to go to the bathroom...